French Language

Topic has 48 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Working all day..

"j'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école."

"sortant" expresses a simultaneous relation and replaces the implied subordinate relative clause.

qui sortait de l'école....assumed incomplete action in the past, this nuance could be emphasised with....qui était en train de sortir de l'école..

Report   Reply Quote

French grammar is deffo not my strong point and I have only recently been paying any sort of attention to it.  But, for what it's worth, I'd say it like Pacha...qui était en train de sortir...

As far as possible, I avoid anything to do with "ing" in French! 

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:

Lets see if I have been paying attention and any of this has sunk in (it never did at school!).

"J'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école", is OK? - I saw my brother leaving the school.

And so is "J'ai vu mon frère en sortant de l'école", I saw my brother whilst I was leaving the school.

Would it be preferable to reverse the order "En sortant de l'école j'ai vu mon frère"

Or is that my English logic intervening?

Or should I get my coat? Cry Out [:'(]

In my opinion you are completely right and you are showing your natural intelligence

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

sweet 17 wrote:

French grammar is deffo not my strong point and I have only recently been paying any sort of attention to it.  But, for what it's worth, I'd say it like Pacha...qui était en train de sortir...

As far as possible, I avoid anything to do with "ing" in French! 

Liliane of L'Oreal is in the news today, now lovey dovey with daughter but Woerth still, in the mire.

A dastardly "ing" word....... qui travaillait pour Clymène, société gérant la fortune Bettencourt. ...

Report   Reply Quote

allanb wrote:
 bubbles wrote:
What about "En sortant de l'école, j'ai vu mon frère"? That's pretty clear.

No, that would mean that I saw him as I was leaving the school.  At least, I think it would.

If I saw him as he was leaving the school, I think I would say "j'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école."

What I'm questioning is the second of NormanH's examples ("j'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école").  I'm not sure whether that's clear, or even correct.

j'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école.....gives an idea of repetition not just the once.

J'ai vu le lapin noir sortant de la garenne.......J'ai vu le lapin noir sortir de la garenne.

Report   Reply Quote

pachapapa wrote:
j'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école.....gives an idea of repetition not just the once.

I don't think so.

Mon frère n'est plus dans l'école; je l'ai vu sortir.

No suggestion that he did it more than once, I would say.

Report   Reply Quote

I agree, only the once!
Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

allanb wrote:
 bubbles wrote:
What about "En sortant de l'école, j'ai vu mon frère"? That's pretty clear.

No, that would mean tha t I saw him as I was leaving the school.  At least, I think it would.

If I saw him as he was leaving the school, I think I would say "j'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école."

What I'm questioning is the second of NormanH's examples ("j'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école").  I'm not sure whether that's clear, or even correct.

Shall we ask the French speakers?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine