English Books

Topic has 44 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: English language book discussion here

I'm still waiting for my copy, but I'd have thought 3 weeks would be enough.
   Report   Reply Quote

I've now read it. How's everyone else doing? How many of us are there?
   Report   Reply Quote

Dog wrote:

Gardener wrote:
The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini

When I realised Khaled knew very little about kite flying my enjoyment of his story ended.

His previous book was much better.

Do you mean '1000 splendid suns' ?

Women's daily strife under the taliban regim is well told.

Anyone read 'The Museum of Innocence' by Oran Pamuk (Turkish Nobel Prize winner for literature)

A man's description on the mourning of true love.

Report   Reply Quote

Pommier wrote:
I've now read it. How's everyone else doing? How many of us are there?

Started it last night, I find the language makes reading it 'bumpy' I don't find it flows and on first impression it seems to lack a sense of place, but maybe that will improve.....

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

I know what you mean about the lumpy, awkward style of writing; it feels uncomfortable, but I think that's deliberate.
I came close to stopping reading the book at the end of the first chapter, but I'm glad that I persisted.
   Report   Reply Quote

I should be through it by tomorrow nite so shall we begin to look at a date to chatter about it, including RH's bumpy, lumpy bits!!
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm on page 63.....if it wasn't for wanting to contribute to the discussion I may have given up.

The last book I read was about a female Sheriff in Arizona, its not a landscape  I'm familiar with but the writer descibed the surroundings  without labouring the point very well - with this there are some places which I think have very sparse description, maybe that is all part of the style and atmosphere of deprivation... in contrast the people seem to be much better  painted.......

Hated the bit about the puppy !!!!

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

I'm nearly at the end... is it me or do the bits dealing with the different characters Micka and Laurie use different typefaces ? I've looked and looked and still I'm not sure.....
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine