French Language

Topic has 41 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: bimbeloteries

Id, I am reminded of those shortbread biscuits that used to be called petticoat tails because of their shape.

I am reminded of a fat, greedy Scottish chap in a kilt eating one and choking on the crumbs in his haste.  He made a splutter and went blue in the face but I, being a young and very cruel child, laughed into my handkerchief in a most unbecoming manner.

PS:  Id, for the purposes of this game, you have to use the original words as in Frecossais' post:  so, no using of past tenses and no changing of the words, OK?Stick out tongue [:P]Wink [;-)]Big Smile [:D]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

How about, "If you must splutter, please do it into your handkerchief and not your petticoat"?
OR
She waved her handkerchief then began to splutter with emotion as HMS Petticoat sailed majestically into view.

PS I've now asked my French students in England to come up with 3 French words that they like the sound of. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Report   Reply Quote

Do let us know on here, won't you?

When you think of it, "petticoat" is such an old-fashioned word, isn't it?  I suppose it must have meant something like little coat or small garment to wear underneath.

Do people even wear "slips" these days, I wonder?

Some of the tight-fitting clothes that now seem de rigueur for overweight women would not permit of much else, nevermind a petticoat underneath?

Report   Reply Quote

When growing up I used to wear an Underskirt, and I always imagined a petticoat to be made of netting, like those big frilly ones of the '50s.
Remember that photo of Diana (before she was a princess) wearing a long skirt without a petticoat that showed her legs through the skirt?
I still have 2 underskirts that I wear in summer with cotton dresses or skirts. Wouldn't want to show off my thighs! 

Report   Reply Quote

Now, I'll confess to something ridiculous.

I still have in the dark recesses of a wardrobe somewhere a prom-style dress with a stiff, net underskirt.

Now I've been on this low-carb, low booze diet, I bet I can still get in it comfortably!  Whether I'd want to or not is, however, another matter!Blush [:$]

Report   Reply Quote

Well I think you must be a saint if you are still on the diet, but well done for your self control.
I'm with Idun, treats all round!
Have a very happy Christmas.

Report   Reply Quote

You too, Frecoss ,and a Happy Hogmanay or whatever the traditional greeting should be!

More fun with words next year?Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Aren't words fascinating? I'd asked my group to find some interesting looking French words, put them in a sentence and let us guess their meaning. During a hilarious session they came up with: "degarni" (that should be e acute but can't do accents here). It means bald, and doesn't that make sense? Garni means garnish, yes? So degarni is ungarnished or..... bald.

We had some words I knew that had just tickled their fancy, like mi-bas, malheureusement, impermeable, but the piece de resistance was by one woman who managed to get three unfamiliar words into the one sentence. Here goes:
La cantatrice etait desolee quand elle a trouve un bijourneau, donc elle a decide de se faire operer par un chirurgien esthetique.
We had to look them up!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine