French Education

Topic has 60 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Procedure when absent from school because of sickness?

That red stuff is brilliant though, Idun - heals wounds really well.  Horrible to get off though and of course looks bad for ages - picture a  4 yr old covered in chicken pox with that painted on!

The little (orange and purple) tubes of crystals were prescribed to my son who had the nervous stomach - one was to calm him down but I can't remember what the other was for.  I'm not sure whether they weren't just a placebo!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

I'd heard flat Coca Cola was worthwhile if you were stuck in a foreign country and couldn't get anyhing else...Coca Cola have very high standards of water purity so at least you are getting fluid you can be sure about.

(Yes I know there have been a couple of incidence in the past, but in some countries it would be better than the local water)

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

I think visible signs of illness are quite important to the French. If you've got a bobo, then painting it red means fewer people miss it. I remember one of my French colleagues wearing a scarf in the office all day, and when I asked him why, he explained he'd got a cold. Or was it a chill? Either way, apparently it's a visible symbol that he felt I should have recognised. Big Smile [:D]

Mr Betty was given a lifetime's supply of betadeine to accompany his grazes after a slide along some tarmac removed some skin following a cycling accident. He looked like David Dickinson for days.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Is the red stuff betadine?

I had to shower in it before my operations.

Report   Reply Quote

Yes it comes in different colour bottles (often red and yellow) for different % strengths.
I think it is basically iodine.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

No not betadine. There were two sorts of the red stuff when my kids were young.  Mecurochrome was one and eosine was the other, I think. I didn't like either. Although I was told that one was 'better' than the other, but it depended who you listened to.
   Report   Reply Quote

I had to use a betadine wash before an operation, it was in a red bottle. We also had ordinary betadine at home.

Report   Reply Quote

So here we are and it's now the turn of my eldest to catch the dreaded bug.  So thinking I'd be all efficient, I fired off an email at 7.45 this morning just after the exodus for the college bus and before getting distracted with walking my youngest to his bus stop.  Then, to be safe, at 8.30 when the lessons start and the office opens, my husband phoned the secretary to let her know and got 'yes - I got your wife's email and I know that he is ill'.  Yet still, at around 10am, the phone call - from the CPE!  The secretary didn't pass the email or phone message on to her so now she's noted it, apparently.  Still - at least whilst busy answering my inquisition as to why she was calling she forgot to interrogate me about the doctor!

Son says it's probably her who normally calls, rather than the secretary, as she is a new CPE this year and her 'thing' is absences.  The old one didn't bother as long as there had been a call from a parent or a message via a sibling.  So perhaps it's the CPE I'm supposed to call.......

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine