French Language

Topic has 47 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Have you ever heard un épluche-légumes called.....

Going back to "économe" and I couldn't resist checking in the dictionary.  It says a "paring knife" so, when you think of "cheese-paring" (something I have been known to do frequently), I can see where the économe comes in Big Smile [:D]

Theoretically then, Chancer is right, it doesn't say a vegetable PEELER, it says a KNIFE so I suppose you would expect the blade to be in line with the handle; therefore no 90-degree angle!  Ah, another of life's little problems solved, what a relief Idea [I]

So, really, you can hold your vegetable any which way you want and peel forwards or backwards and it shouldn't make any difference?

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

There is a convention that a gentleman should never reveal the way he peels his vegetable! Let us stick to this please, people, even if it is the ladies who are being provocative in their efforts to find out.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

sweet17, that is all very well you saying that one could peel forwards or backwards, but the backwards is towards oneself and 'men' don't like that idea at all. Unsafe apparently, but I find that many women do things that 'men' find unsafe..... and rarely do we get hurt.

Report   Reply Quote

Men have been taught to practise safe peeling, obviously.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Men and women do so many things differently, natural or taught? I have no idea.

Coiling an electrical cable or ropes, well, they have to be slightly twisted as they are coiled to keep them 'straight' (even though they are coiled), apparentlyBlink [blink] and not ran through the hand and over the elbow like a washing line. Can I do this, nope. I cannot throw a ball either.

So many differences and yet in spite of doing so much 'wrongly', we women still manage to get things done.Devil [6]

Report   Reply Quote

The "epluche legumes" top left is useless to use. The "econome" second from left is my favourite and we have 3 in the drawer at home (asparagus, potatoes, carrots etc.)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eplucher+legume&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7RNRN_enGB421&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=mK7-ULmaMqmN0AWRs4HYDA&biw=1366&bih=566&sei=na7-UL33O_Ob1AWgroDYDA

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Ok, Eric, you've had the last word on un économe!Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

Now, tell me, are you one of those canif-carrying Frenchmen?

I met some of OH's friends from his table-tennis club.  In fact, I was invited one night to eat with them.  Would you know, to a man, they had a knife and, in no time at all, were slicing rondels of baguette and saucisson.

So what knife do you favour?  Un opinel, un laguoile?  Well, what other types of pocket-knives are there?  This is a serious question as I always used to carry a penknife for peeling my lunch apple in the days when I was still working in the UK and my colleagues were horrified and said I could be arrested for carrying it.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

sweet 17 wrote:

This is a serious question as I always used to carry a penknife for peeling my lunch apple in the days when I was still working in the UK and my colleagues were horrified and said I could be arrested for carrying it.

Hi Sweet, Brits will be Brits ......

I don't carry a knife anymore (use to when I was 16 but that was a flick knife to impress ..... whom I don't know !!!), this is no longer a done thing at my age (I have one in the car just in case I need to peel something) However what you are talking about is perfectly true of a certain "age band".....get your knife out and as you say, be ready to slice whatever comes your way.

We even knew of an older gentleman in Britanny who carried such a folding knife. One day I saw him take the knife out of his pocket and carefully cut his finger nails as they were too long.....not a neat job but short nails at the end .......

About 5 years ago my Grandmother (and only for reasons known to herself) carried her deceased husband's flick knife, in her hand bag through the security control at Nantes airport on her way to Marseilles. They wanted to confiscate the item but her look of horror and near panic attack made them think better....she was allowed to return to the main desk to check it in ....

I eat with a Laguiole (inherited from my Father) which I must bring with me to France next time round and take to the town of Laguiole to give it a full MOT.

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine