French Language

Topic has 27 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Really embarrassing mistake:(

idun wrote:
Well Patf, I rarely make that mistake as I have trouble with that sound one should say if saying 'cul' or 'vu' and I do try really hard, so unnatural for me to get to grips with.

So I congratulate you on being able to make these sounds that are so difficult for me.

Same for me but in English ....I avoid words such as   Sheep and Ship    Pepper and Paper   Sheet and Sh@t as I very often get them wrong......... and despite long chats with my English wife, I can't see for the life of me what is the difference between Tweet and Tw.t !!!  both being nice little single syllable words .....

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty wrote:
Ah Sweets, reflexives...the bane of our lives...it's vous vous moquez de moi...

I always think "Tu me manques" is odd. Not to the French, obviously. But to me.

When I complain in class about these reflexives (or pronominals or whatever they are called), the teacher says but they are the easiest of all for making the passé compossé as they are always made with être!  Doesn't convince me one bit.

Au contraire "tu me mangues" makes sense as OH hasWelsh as his first language and he might say "you are missing to me".

But, the worst, absolutely the worst, grammar thingies are les relatifs; you know those qui, que, ce qui, ce que, qu'en, qu'on, dont, lequel, lesquels, auxquels, où and so on and so forth.  Thus I always use two sentences whenever possible to avoid using these horrible relatifs.

The one word I have immense problem with and don't think I will ever get right is "rue".  Tongue forward, tongue backward, clear your throat, fold your tongue up to the roof of your mouth; tried all the suggestions (separately and together) and it still comes out sort of "rhu" and that's on a good day Ick! [+o(]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

This is fun...http://phonetique.free.fr/indexvir.htm

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you, Betty; fun AND funny Big Smile [:D]
Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine