French Education

Topic has 59 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French as she is spoken in the UK

I have never been told that my english accent is sexy, but I have been told it is mignon.....quite what some french people 'hear', well, I 'm not sure. I have heard enough english speakers speaking french with an english accent, and I find it most unattractive........ mine included!

Report   Reply Quote

Idun, you misread what I wrote - English with a French accent
It is undemocratic to ask the people if a negotiated deal is what they want.

Then how can it be democratic to ask MPs for a third time if what they do not want is what they want?
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm not speaking for Idun, but I'm not sure she misunderstood at all. You see, the French find French spoken with an English accent to be cute. yes, sometimes maybe even sexy. It's not a one way street!😄
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

.... You were ONLY supposed to remove the entrance points from the motor vehicle.... Smile [:)]
   Report   Reply Quote

Betty said, it isn't a one way street with the accent thing....... I just don't get how mine can be mignon, at all!Woot! [:-))] But how would I feel if they said it was horrid...... which I think it is!Whistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

Judith wrote:
To go back to a point made by Mint originally, yes, the BBC did have a pronunciation unit, I knew someone who used to be in it .. but seems all language learning is now tarred with some peculiar brush.  Here the daughter of one of our English friends who lives here, works as a translator etc, decide to go in for teaching English to the French and actually qualify as the French wished.  She was told to loose her slight northern accent and speak with a proper posh accent to teach English.

I give up!

Judith, thank you for confirming that the BBC did have such a thing as a pronunciation unit.  I was beginning to think that it was a figment of my imagination!

One of my original thought about posting and which I didn't get across was how disappointed I was that such renown names as the 3 I have mentioned didn't seem to speak very good French.

Now I am not saying that my own spoken French is good, heavens, not a bit as I still can't say "rue de la république" with any sort of conviction.  I suppose I just assumed that these, being people at the top of their profession and with a team of experts and assistants behind their broadcasts, would have checked these "tricky foreign" names before they needed to pronounce them.

I suppose too I remember what an illustrious history the BBC has, how loved and admired worldwide, what a splendid role it played in the General Strike of 1926, not to mention during World War II.  That it's managed to retain SOME impartiality even now, after governments of all colours have tried to sway it or woo it or at times threatened it (for example, Thatcher, trying to privatise it), is almost unbelievable.

You only have to have an aquaintance, however superficial, with broadcasting systems in other parts of the world and you'd marvel at how well good old Auntie's done.  It's NOT perfect, of course not, but I shall always be an admirer.

I'll tell you a little story to illustrate the point of what stature the BBC has outside of the UK.  Some years ago, I met an Albanian doctor who spoke very good and correct English.  He was staying in our town for a year whilst he was studying at Cardiff as it was just after the fall of their last dictator and the Albanians were free for the first time to go outside their country.

I asked him where he'd learned English and, you guess it, from listening to BBC radio clandestinely!

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

The BBC still has a pronunciation unit. At least, it was still updating its website details as recently as September.
   Report   Reply Quote

Well, it appears that Huw Edwards has read this thread...if his very good pronunciation of "Charlie Hebdo" and " Place de la République" are anything to go by.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine