South West (Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées)

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Wanted: Property Let or Purchase Near Sarlat/Salignac

I think we have highlighted the difference between the French and the British education systems. In my experience British schools do their best to teach their foreign pupils English.

I think your geography is a bit off ALBF. There is no cheese shop in Domme.

Report   Reply Quote

@ Hoody

In the spring this year, there was a cheese shop down this little street.

https://www.google.fr/maps/@44.8028355,1.2145273,3a,75y,155.24h,84.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6n5OW_2FMMpmay8SEMW57A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The Brasserie on your left has (or did have) on their menu 'duck pizza'. LOL.

Should we talk about the train ????
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I think it may be a question of how we use words ALBF. I was up and down that street several times this summer and didn't see what I would describe as a cheese shop. There is a small grocers on the left hand side which manages to keep going through the winter. Was it one of those tourist shops that sells local produce ?
   Report   Reply Quote

@albf, I rather thought the link was pertinent, with such a title.

Much as I love Saeprlat, Domme and other places in the area, we preferred to buy in the Gard, although we almost bought in the Drôme, our second favourite area.

Like many, we were already retired but bought a lock up and leave place in a lovely little town with all amenities all year round apart from a hospital, but there are 3 within fairly easy reach, particularly by ambulance!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

@ Hoddy

I am 95% sure it was that street.

OH went in, but from what I saw from the outside I think they only sold cheese. They probably did sell other produce as well mind you.

Maybe they have gone out of business already. At those prices it would not surprise me.

Look, another shop we went into.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/bureaux_commerces/1031796069.htm?ca=2_s

France is a tough place to live and work.

We nearly bought something from that shop as well.

The best buy was from the book shop (opposite the restaurant) where we picked up some second hand star wars books in French.

Yes I have been to Domme.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

The shops you mention are open for tourists just in the season. I sympathise with their high prices, but I won't pay them.

The book shop is a treasure and very popular with my grandchildren.

The train has one of those very French stories attached to it. There are two trains now when there used only to be one which was owned by a local who tried to put up his prices. There was a disagreement between him and the commune and in the end the commune bought a train of its own and ran it in opposition.

Domme's walls are a bit of a disadvantage because they restrict access to the town and make it somewhat isolated in the winter.
   Report   Reply Quote
Angry [:@]

Superb tourist place Domme. The view over the river is spectacular.

Prices, though, are what people are willing to pay.

As an example, anybody who has been to the Perigord will have seen confit du canard sold in tins of 4/5 pieces. In the tourist markets the price is 20 euros + . Go to a nearby supermarket and its less than 10 euros.

We currently have 6 tins in the garage in England to either give away or use.

Not only is the meat melt in the mouth, but the duck fat is superb for roast potatoes. Just check out the price of duck fat jars in the UK!

NB we went into the shop that is for sale - we were impressed with the goods for sale, but walked out without a purchase when we saw the prices .

Hope the op has had relevant private responses.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

I wrote

I don't harp on about Paris being a busy rat-run of a place, full of the most ignorant and arrogant of the French nation plus a whole bunch of foreigners and tourists to drive you to distraction. I don't complain about the rip off Parisian prices for just about everything from an apartment downwards.

And ALBF said it was just clichés.

All I can say is I report as I find.

Busy - try and deny that point (well maybe not in July and August but the rest of the year?). Like most worldwide capitals it is a busy city.

Ignorant and arrogant inhabitants - actually not my words but those of a good French friend. It matches my experience however of the French in Paris who look down their noses at the rest of France, let alone foreigners. It also describes our next door neighbours who own a holiday home. Hardly even get a bonjour out of them. So yes I stand by that description.

Foreigners - well yes Paris is a cosmopolitan city with international companies and lots of non-French workers.

Tourists - surely you cannot find fault with that since it it one of the major tourist attractions in the world.

Expensive - well I suppose you could buy everything from the Sunday Clignancourt markets which might almost bring the prices down to the rural prices we enjoy. I still struggle to find a 3 course Parisian lunch with wine for 12€ - and probably supplied by the same frozen ready meal company as here in the sticks. Parisian real estate prices are the highest in metropolitan France.

So where are the clichés?

Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine