French Language

Topic has 46 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: British words the French are pronouncing incorrectly

I thought that I was going mad, i tried to do the € sign and I kept getting a drop down menu for something, then as you say the keys were re-assigned, did a reboot and all was OK.

Often when I am typing the cursor will leap back and what I type is inserted further back in the text, I am misskeying something maybe hitting the tab key and something else, it happens loads, never been able to repeat it when i try though!

Report   Reply Quote

How did you fix it???

Report   Reply Quote

I explained in the first sentence.

Report   Reply Quote

just pass the sauce, would you?
http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/730195/85239768.jpg

Do not believe anything until it has been officially denied
   Report   Reply Quote

From my own experience. Even after 32 years I still have to concentrate when saying " Paper and Pepper" "Ship and Sheep" and I still don't understand that a little vowel can change the meaning of Tweet to a vulgar other word....

...... Also heard on RTL french radio ... Those make me cringe .....

Manchester Uniteed
Brightxton (Brixton)
Lait sauce terre (Leicester)
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Eric, this might make you laugh.

I was walking with one of my nordic walking groups yesterday and it appeared that 2 of the men were trying to learn English.

We have a lovable character amongst us, overweight, unshaven (or maybe just fashionably stubbly) who you could be forgiven for mistaking for a tramp.

I was trying to get him to say the "h" by going hah, hah, hah.  I am very fond of him, BTW, and his son lives in my village so he is someone I am at ease with.

It was warm and I said j'ai chaud, so I asked the leader if we might stop so that we could take off some clothes.  Then the conversation got to how the French say j'ai chaud where the British would say I am hot.

At which point, Jean said I am hot!  I looked at the other British person and the parisienne who speaks good English and said, well, mais il y a deux significations pour I am hot!

Had to take the bull by the horns eventually and said that I am hot could mean "sexy" but, of course Jean was delighted by this explanation and spent several minutes afterwards saying I am hot!

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Easy to explain that according to the circumstances it can mean j'ai chaud or je suis chaud(e)
   Report   Reply Quote

That's a nice one, Mint!

Walking from pétanque with a French member of the group for whom I take English conversation sessions, he said - 'there's a sink'; I looked out for what I thought might be a hole in the road (which suddenly occur here from time to time), while mentally holding my nose as there was a bad drains smell.

But it turned out that I wasn't in danger of disappearing from view, he was commenting on the 'stink'! Serge is one of the advanced group, I hasten to add, we have many who are very much beginners.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine