French Food and Wine

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French milk

Thanks Mint - another advantage of living in Dordogneshire.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Its the fat content that is critical to whip cream, many creams especially the low fat ones use guar gum etc to thicken them.

I use crème fraiche all the time in cooking, I have not made a proper roux sauce in a decade and the flour I have remaining dates from the last century!

There is something about crème fraiche that makes it thicken a sauce whereas other creams just make it even more liquid, its not the fat content (others are higher) and the one I use contains no thickening compound, a mystery but it means no more flour which for me is a good thing.

Never ever try whipping French cream with fixe chantilly, whilst it will thicken eventually you will just end up with cardboard tasting stuff with the texture of spray cream but even more bland.

Report   Reply Quote

Elle et Vivre do a crème epaise and Mascarpone mix that behaves like double cream and to my taste (now separated from double cream for 20 years or so) is very similar.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

I have read most of this thread and can't believe some of it?

Cheese is cheese is cheese, apart from some of the processed c r a p . Cantal, 'laguiole, chedder are all similar, but different. Anyone who chucks the best and most tasty bit away, the rind, has got to have somethng missing from the neck up. I mean, they would probably reject the rind from the 'King of Cheeses' Stilton!

Goat's cheese, sheeps cheese, cows cheese are all wonderful as long as they are raw cheeses. Pasturise them and you will loose a boat load of the taste. Fresh cheese, mature cheese? All wonderful, how else can you describe them, unless you also like MacDoDos 'stuff' Woot! [:-))]

I like GOOD cheese Cool [8-|]

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Just recalled the one I liked in place of Cheddar, - Compté.

I know its not the same but I think that is the key here, not to look for the same but to seek something different, if all you want in life is "a nice cup of tea" probably best not to move abroad.

Report   Reply Quote

We have always used a lot of milk and my biggest mistake was going to the hypermarche on the outskirts of the city we lived in and buying a months milk, about 40litres then, and decided to buy the creamy long life........ ecreme...........Blush [:$]Blush [:$]Blush [:$]

Remember opening it and it was like water and I had no idea what was up with it until I got the big dictionnary out.

Later we bought demi ecreme, but once we had kids, did as I believe all kids should always have, bought full milk for them and us too. Strangely, all the kids who came round used to say how lovely the milk was, as ALL their parents bought skimmed or semi skimmed.  And we then, got through at least three litres a day, still get through loads.

Cantal,  the taste to us is a mix of some british cheeses, caerphilly and maybe wensleydale and another. Never found one that I can say is better than cheddar, as each cheese has it's place, even the dreaded emmantael. Tried making a croque monsieur with other than emmantael and it is HORRIBLE and sickly, for all it seems to have little taste, it compliments the rest of the ingredients I use, that is for sure.

I would no more want fermented milk than I would sterilized....not to my taste at all..... we are all different.

Report   Reply Quote

I would never trust any french cream to whip, and would always have cremefix to hand, although in fairness I always used to give my elle et vire creme entier in a carton, well chilled, the chance to whip before I added the creme fix.

Would be nice to hear if some does manage to thicken without a little hand.Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

You can also buy lait cru, it's in a little plastic sack. I bought some once when they had run out of pasteurised, or the milk farmers were having a protest because of the very low price.
It didn't taste any different, but I wouldn't use it all the time - I once knew someone who was very ill from drinking it , some strange disease.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine