French Language

Topic has 41 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: What is intermediary French ?

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Another point, watch a French youtube teenager type blogger type broadcast (or whatever they are called) which most kids watch these days in favour of television and then rate your level of French.

I am not certain that those types of programme are a benchmark for a level of French, anymore than  undersanding  the language of a rapper is a standard by which to judge one's level of English, but as a matter of interest I can follow the dialogue in such films as:
L'Esquive  http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18359063&cfilm=48230.html

or Un Prophète  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69ARbQt-Ko&html5=1
'apart from the Arabic and Corsican dialogue)
Can you?

Here is one for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQuu6hEciME&html5=1

C Cho
PTDR
à +

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

The first two no........the last one yes.

I did not try to hard to be fair on the first one.....it looked dead boring.

I can do Amelie. She is dead fit and does not talk to much which helps. LOL

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Surely, "intermediary" French is the French spoken by a negotiator, interpreter or go-between?
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

D'oh !

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Nice to see a post from Betty after too long a timeBig Smile [:D]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

"I did not try to hard to be fair on the first one.....it looked dead boring."

A major theme in L'Esquive  which was directed by the same Tunisien born director as La vie d'Adèle  is how a lack of mastery of an 'educated' level of language can trap young people and limit their opportunities.
There is a fascinating contrast between the elegant, mannered language of the Marivaux play they are rehearsing for their French class  (here is the link to the notes for the Bac http://www.bacdefrancais.net/amourethasard.php   )
and the street language into which they lapse in the arguments about who plays what and how.

I find that interesting especially in the context of this thread.

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I think that if you have not mastered, computers, tablets, mobile phones, andriod, IOS, facebook, twitter, you tube and all the rest of it by the age of 8 then your opportunities in life are very much limited. I think those gifted in languages will soon just end up working in Lidl.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

LOL ALBF, LIDL is not a bad option these days. Managers get decent pay, in fact the rest of the staff do.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine