Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Struggling to get agents to send details of property

Leboncoin gives
https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/1164315372.htm?ca=4_s

and

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/1163175933.htm?ca=4_s

Though they might be a bit far from where you want to be.

There is a selection at:
http://www.logic-immo.com/agence-immobiliere/mortain/annonces-vente-mortain_50140-D2809853-BAC8-3B70-E2F7-3C93F97A0049.html

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH, thank you so much. That's exactly the kind of thing we are looking for. A bit further away from the area we wanted but only about 15 miles so both worth a look. Thank you.
   Report   Reply Quote

Actually, they are not what you are looking for AT ALL !!!.

The second one is covered in asbestos tiles/or tiles containing asbestos. Stick a new roof on it, rewire, plumbing, fosse and make it comfortable and the cost will far far far exceed its resell value.

Those houses are not worth anything. You would not buy them at 5K euros. Don't make the same mistake as thousands before you.

Take Mintys advice. Go already renovated. Renovated houses are cheaper !!!!
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the advice ALBF. All renovated projects seem out of our budget, hence partially renovated. We are fortunate in that we can undertake all trades, except gas/oil heating so labour is free. We have no expectation of buying a place and making money, just to create a holiday home for long term use. Is there a website that shows actual sale prices of property rather than advertised prices?. Are the sale prices hugely inflated in these areas?
   Report   Reply Quote

There is no easy answer. Buying a renovated house brings up its own problems and may end up much more expensive. In my time in France I have seen numerous renovations where the renovator has used placo and rails to do a quick cheap job resulting in a clean, crisp (characterless) interior with all the problems and structural faults conveniently hidden. Look through the forum pages and you will soon come across problems of damp, animal infestation and wiring problems that suddenly appear once the holiday home is locked up and left. If you do the renovation you can control the costs and set the standards. It might cost more than you first thought but at least you will know what's what. I'm typing this in my renovated stone cottage, I trust the roof, electrics, fosse and plumbing because they have all been renewed since I bought the property. At the end of the day I ended up living in a house that was still amazing value even though it cost a lot to renovate on top of the bargain price of the original structure. Would I swap it for a city centre appartment? No way.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks BB. We live rural now so also want rural France too so most of what is on offer in the locations we like are barns, some partially converted. I agree that doing the work yourself you can control the standard and it's not daunting to us.
   Report   Reply Quote

I agree with B&B in terms of a renovated house will bring up its own problems. I work on the logic that every house in France is a renovation.

If you want to do it for the passion, then buy something that is worth the hassle.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/1172379386.htm?ca=4_s

Whatever you buy on your budget I would by on top of that a couple of shepherd huts or a camper van.....because you will need them.

But remember, a renovation is an expensive hobby.

What is your budget BTW ? It would help to know in order to find properties for you.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Love the character of that one ALBF. I've requested details on that one and another with the same agent about 5 times as well as emailed direct. I ve emailed in French and English. Maybe they're on holiday as I receive nothing back. In your opinion, how realistic is the selling price? It comes with about 2 acres of land - any rural people.....do local farmers want grass keep for free in France?? I've 5.5 acres at home for my horses but if they don't get round to grazing the 2 acre paddock the local farmer happily cuts, bales and takes the bales as payment.
Forgot to say, budget is around £35k
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine