The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 29 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French public spending: it makes you weep!

Actually I know it was in €'s and as I could not be bothered to check exchange rates for 2010 so didn't and guessed.

So after being picked up on it, checked the Bank of England spot rates this morning, and it imore like £30k average UK salary. Errrrrr, the average salary is not that, far from it and was not in 2010.

You do make me smile richard51, as prickly as a good friend of mine in France, who will pick anyone up on anything at all. There again most of my french friends do similar things too.Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

""Bank of England spot rates this morning,""

I give up explaining but its not rocket science.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I checked Bank of England spot rates this morning.

That is a fact.

I checked them for the average annual rate for 2010, from 1st Jan to 31st December. Of course I did!

Report   Reply Quote

For goodness sake, if you want to quibble then go to eurostat where the article got its figures from.

You do distract from the overall message of the article by looking at such small detail.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

It is not a small detail to imply that the average UK wage in 2010 was thousands of pounds greater than the average UK wage actually is for non politicans.

If you are happy to look at eurostat and believe them, well,  that is your right, but I trust them as much as I trust INSEE, who, as a general rule, I have never trusted, and I'll ad the ONS too.

And the overall message, if skewed for the UK, how do we know what it is like for other countries?

The devil is in the detail!
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Not much left to trust then!

I'm all for checking sources especially in journalism but thats going a little too far methinks.

Just as an aside, if the average salary was indeed less, then the ratio would be even higher for the UK MPs- obviously that depends on if they got the MPs salary nearly right though!

Yes french public spending is too high overall.

Yes UK public spending is too low overall

Yes spending on MPs in both Fr and UK is high but probably not that different.

Lets move on.

ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine