Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 29 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: No house . . . but continued taxes d'hab and foncière !

Well it is not the law that it has to be apportioned, just that it is the 'done' thing.

However, even when it gets apportioned, it is strictly based on the previous years figures, so that if it goes up then the seller is liable for the difference......

....... as I said, the buyer is not liable for the bill, the seller is.

Patf, unless you are paying for your bank account, I would leave it open for quite some time, at least two years, if not longer.

Report   Reply Quote

I'll have to speak to our notaire or immo about that.
There's probably something about it in the Acte de Vente,  we have an online copy.
And you're right about keeping the bank account open, Idun. You never know who might decide to take something out of it!
And an afterthought on Tax Hab. -  isn't it being phased out ?

Report   Reply Quote

Yes, Pat, I believe that it's a third off but I am not sure whether that applies from 2017 or 2018.

Norman, can you please confirm or dispute my crude figures and the year, stp

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

It's worth mentioning that DD's can be cancelled at will and at any time simply by instructing your bank, it's a core function of the system.

Seemingly some banks don't understand that though and will try to tell you it has to done by the recipient but that only applies to SO's (Standing orders).

I have all of this to go through in a couple of months time but I'll be keeping my CA A/C open both to cover odds and sods and because the Bip & Go peage doofah - which also works in Spain - is dependent on a French A/C and I plan to hang onto that.

Report   Reply Quote

slight thread drift coming up...

Very advisable to keep the French account going, of course, ANO, though - weirdly - my "bip and go" tolls have always been set up to charge my UK credit card. (I just have to remember to call them whenever the card is renewed, to give them the new digits from the back of it.)
   Report   Reply Quote

Wish we could get away with just a phone call for that! Just been through it. In fact, their letter threatening Dire Consequences arrived before the new credit card had even got to us. Always involves a piece of paper and a signature for us, even though it is only the security code digits that change😣
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine