French Language

Topic has 32 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: A few French homophones

And yet, when the € came in, the french government insisted that the cents were called centimes, because you could not have a word sounding like another word that did not mean the same thing. It would be tooo confusing......... as if hundreds of french words don't sound the same as others.Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

This has to be the most bizarre thread I’ve ever read on this site.
   Report   Reply Quote

Homophony is an addictive disease, like punning orwriting poetry, so folks, accept that you arein a right old place and counting.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

ericd wrote:
mint says ..... vers as in vers Bordeaux (in the direction of.....) vers minuit (around midnight...) ver (worm) ........ you can also add vert (as in green) verre (as in glass) vers (as in poetry) vair (as in the fur)

Eric, you wouldn't get away with verre as in glass around here.  If I said that, they'd all jump on me and make me say "veRR", I'd have to sound the second RSmile [:)]

You should hear them make me say échaRpe.....took me several attempts!

Also, Eric, could you please answer my question on the where- is-mint thread because I wrote something en express for youSmile [:)]

Sue, I use wordreference for the pronunciation too but I feel I would like to acquire a nicer sounding accent in my speech all round.  I think it's something I'd really enjoy doing.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Another one I've just thought of
foi
fois
foie
Foix

Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Hi Patf. Could you add the meaning to those (...... You and I are ok but it will help les autres .....).
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm sure most people know the meanings, but here goes
foi - faith, trust
foie - liver as in pate de foie gras
fois - time as in une fois, once, one time
Foix a town in the Ariege

Report   Reply Quote

Do you know this little rhyme …..
Il était une fois, une marchande de foie qui vendait du foie dans la ville de Foix. Elle se dit « ma foi, c’est bien la dernière fois que je vends du foie dans cette ville de Foix».

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine