French Language

Topic has 44 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: What's the easiest way to Learn French?

Pads wrote:
There is no easy way ...its hard hard slog, doing a bit everyday for years , its tears and laughter its heartbreaking and humilating , its joy and fulfillment and finally a small feeling of achivement ....then its back to the books .... But darn it ....its worth it

This describes a marriage, Pads. I married a French speaker so speak from experience! But doing the bit everyday implies a little extracurricular activity which is perhaps frowned on?Big Smile [:D]

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

La Dictée.

One before breakfast.

One after lunch.

One before supper.

You know it makes sense.

http://www.tv5.org/TV5Site/dictee/dictee.php

Report   Reply Quote

I'm an osmosis learner and the likes of Michele Thomas and other similar audio aids just send me to sleep, you definitely need some interaction and a challenge.

Sharedtalk can be a useful resource at all levels.

http://www.sharedtalk.com

Report   Reply Quote

Mr Banana
My marriage has been smooth sailing compared to learning french !! ;))
and dosnt cost me as much !!
Dirty Tom =^..^=
Where ever I lay my paw thats my home

I support SPA Carcassonne ...go get a dog today
http://spacarcassonne.e-monsite.com/
   Report   Reply Quote

Pads wrote:
Mr Banana My marriage has been smooth sailing compared to learning french !! ;)) and dosnt cost me as much !!

hahahahahahahaBig Smile [:D]

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

The best course I have ever found for teaching or learning languages is the Michel Thomas course. There is no other course like it. You just listen and repeat but it is great and you very quickly end up being able to say quite long sentences and construct them and alter them yourself. He was an amazing man and this technique has never been given the accolade it deserves. Bonne chance!
   Report   Reply Quote

Barbara, how do you know he is an amazing man, experience?

I taught English as a Foreign Language for 35 years and never came across a course that was a panacea. It is just horses for courses, so to speak there is NO method which really works. However, individuals may prefer one approach to another, though at heart they are all the same - listen, understand and repeat- which does not really help you in conversation situations or to produce utterances beyond universal groans and squeaks.Devil [6]

The best motivator is simple need, with the skills to learn which not everyone has. Or, get an intimate lady/gentleman/ bisexual, transsexual/ unknown sexual friend who will make you improve by leaps and bounds. This is why Norman is so polyglot! (No, Sweets, not with a parrot).

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:

Or, get an intimate lady/gentleman/ bisexual, transsexual/ unknown sexual friend who will make you improve by leaps and bounds. This is why Norman is so polyglot! (No, Sweets, not with a parrot).

Do you mean the method known as "Horizontal Berlitz"Big Smile [:D]
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine