French Language

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Another French test

sweet 17 wrote:

... if petit-fille doesn't need an e than grand-mère doesn't need one either.

Not sure, Sweet, that you're right on the first part of this one - unless things have changed since my massive 1998 Collins-Robert dictionary came into being. 
It gives "petite-fille (pl. petites-filles)"  Geeked [geek]

Angela

Report   Reply Quote

Angela, I don't know how and where I have got that from either and I am not prepared to say that I am definitely right!

But, look here:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7296697

Perhaps that's not a granddaughter (now I'm not even sure how to spell that word in English)

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty wrote:
I'm puzzled by the marking system. I came out with 87.5.....Confused [8-)]

I think there's something wrong with it too. Yesterday I got a score of 29.5. Today I got 71.5, more or less the same answers, but omitting all of 16, 17, and 18.

Report   Reply Quote

sweet 17 wrote:

...But, look here:  http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7296697 ...

Not sure I'd give a Manhattan-based on-line auction site credence over the Collins-Robert dictionary, Sweet!
In fact, on that page, the spelling appears as "petit fille" near the top, and "petite fille" on another item near the bottom!  And in both cases, it obviously means "little girl" rather than "granddaughter"

On gosh - granddaughter (?sp);  you've got me worried now!  And me an erstwhile sub-editor...

Angela

Report   Reply Quote

Angela, you're right, what do these autioneers know?  Quite a nice figurine though.

Don't start me off on spelling; mine's been getting worser and worser.  Not only that, I think my vocabulary is shrinking.  I believe it does so at the same rate as my brain, alas.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine