French Language

Topic has 52 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Pads is confused again

Can someone give me an or some examples of how that rule works in a sentence please?

Perhaps some incorrect useage might also illuminate things.

The problem I have is in imagining a sentence that would contain even some of those grammatical terms in that order.

Thank you

Report   Reply Quote

They rarely all appear together Chance.  However

The order is

1. le la les

2. moi

3. nous vous lui leur

4. m' t'

5.y

6 en

Thus: Donne-le moi;  Donnez-la lui; Donnez-nous en; Donnez-m'en  etc.

Edit : More...  Elle me le donne; je m'y interesse; je t'y invite; il m'en donne; je le lui donne; tu lui en donne....  (I could go on, but I won't!)

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Here are a few examples from my grammar book:

I gave it to him/her - je le lui ai donné

He explained it to me - il me l'a expliqué

I put them there this morning - je les y ai mis ce matin

I don't have the time to explain it to you - Je n'ai pas le temps de te l'expliquer

Hope this helps.

Report   Reply Quote

Some rather unimaginative examples off the top of my head:

Il nous en a parlé (He has told me about it)

Je la lui ai envoyée (I have sent it to him)

Il y en a (There is/are some)

Hope those help to see the context.

Not sure your list is quite right there, Coops. Plus, m' and t' are really me and te, and would hang in with nous and vous.
"Donnez-m'en". Shouldn't it be "Donnez moi en" ?

Angela

EDIT: Whoops, spent too long on that, so seem to have duplicated the post above - sorry!
   Report   Reply Quote

Apparently 'moi' and 'toi' are replaced with' m' or 't' before 'en' and 'y' in a command, when they come after the verb...
So..Donnez-m'en
but it does feel odd, and I'm not sure I have ever heard it

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

va-t'en is fairly common bits can be added to it like green monsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QjfY6iQ9u8

Report   Reply Quote

I think that's simply the imperative of the verb "s'en aller" isn't it?

I stand to be corrected here, but I think the t' in va-t'en just comes from it being a reflexive verb, rather than being put there on purpose as the direct or indirect object. (Can't do emoticons in this browser, but would be doing a puzzled one here.)

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Just to add that one hears
'Donnez moi un' which is very close in sound to the 'Donnez moi en' that you feel is right

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine