French Language

Topic has 48 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Working all day..

Nah, that's cheating and will cut the thread short!
Only joe king!
   Report   Reply Quote

xxxBig Smile [:D]
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

bubbles wrote:
Nah, that's cheating and will cut the thread short! Only joe king!

qui est-ce, joe king?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

allanb wrote:
 pachapapa wrote:
j'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école.....gives an idea of repetition not just the once.

I don't think so.

Mon frère n'est plus dans l'école; je l'ai vu sortir.

No suggestion that he did it more than once, I would say.

J'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école, I agree with Pachapapa, could mean more than once as in "I've seen him come out of there" (several times) and not "I saw him come out of there".

I also agree that "j'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école" is as in "en train de sortir" (in the process of doing so, or however you could explain that).  Could also be several times, not just once.

Mais où on va la ?!   Blink [blink]

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

I did say that it was a complication Sad [:(]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

sweets, joe king is an orphaned child - also known as no pa king.
thought everyone knew that.
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:
 Chancer wrote:

Lets see if I have been paying attention and any of this has sunk in (it never did at school!).

"J'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école", is OK? - I saw my brother leaving the school.

And so is "J'ai vu mon frère en sortant de l'école", I saw my brother whilst I was leaving the school.

Would it be preferable to reverse the order "En sortant de l'école j'ai vu mon frère"

Or is that my English logic intervening?

Or should I get my coat? Cry Out [:'(]

In my opinion you are completely right and you are showing your natural intelligence

Flattery will get you everywhere you naughty man you!Kiss [kiss]

Report   Reply Quote

"En train de " was a stop gap for me for a very long time before I had any understanding of French grammar, I had no clue of the existance of a thing called the present participle, its very hard to unlearn habits like that once they become automatic.

For describing an "ing" event in the past I still mostly use être in the imparfait followed by the participe présent of the verb

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine