English Books

Topic has 44 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: English language book discussion here

Yes, they are in different typefaces - although it's a bit too subtle a difference for me! I had to check sometimes to see whose account I was reading.
   Report   Reply Quote

I resorted to comparing individual letters - good thought poorly executed in my view....
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Finished it - so what did the others reading it think ? Were there echoes of Thompson and Venables in Micka and Laurie ?
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Just me perhaps, but I was shocked by my own reaction to the puppy in that I felt more sympathy for it than I did for the obviously abused and neglected Micka. As the story progressed, I became more sorry for the boys, but that first reaction still holds to some extent. I don't know if I'm saying this right, but the shock was greater with the story of the puppy; the boys fortunes unfolded more gradually.
I'm sure that the book was written with some reference to Thompson and Venables as well as other child killers.
   Report   Reply Quote

Well, Micka's killing of the others (who are basically evil, either from neglect and bad parenting or from birth) and the saving of the girl seems a moral and righteous act essentially, but in the context can never be seen as such, and he thus turns 'bad' at the end and cuts off from his sister.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Was Lee really there ?

What interested me was the contrasts and similarities between Micka and Laurie, Micka obviously identified as coming from a problem back ground yet Laurie who I thought was potentially more dangerous seemed over looked because he was so much more middle class.....

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Lee was surely killed in a fight at the pub wasn't he?
It seemed to me that Laurie was the more intelligent and manipulative, and was more disturbed than neglected and abused Micka.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, Laurie was all of those things, but there was nothing there like love and feelings. His Dad spoke like a dictionary and his Mum was out with the faeries, and on their separation he fell between and was lost, allowing his evil side to flourish.

Well, was Lee there or not? I assumed he had in fact been there and that he was killed too, but perhaps, it was the evil he represented which was purged.

Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine