Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Returning to the UK..Fill up with fuel ! .

It was not the tanker drivers that caused anything. They said that they were unhappy and I would have been too. It was scare mongering MP's who are trying to put the blame on these drivers before they actually 'do' anything.

Yes, I agree, all politicans should have to use public transport, cheapest option or pay out of their own pockets. Their allowances cut. Maybe IF we kept them away from Parliament a bit, they would not do so much degas, because when they are there they seem to be full of too much nonsense, common sense having been lost many years ago.

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:

Payrise, no, it isn't about a payrise of £9000 a year, far from it. This driver sums it all up quite well.

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2012/03/fuel-strike-dispute-view-from-drivers-cab/

What it means is that currently these drivers are picking up approx £1800 month and those working for the small companies are picking up just over a £1000 a month, and as pensioners many may live on this, but young people with families will struggle.

I would be enraged if I ended up with the wrong fuel in my engine. It simply should not happen.

No it shouldn't happen - but occasinally it does - even with manned forecourts and with Unite drivers.  Oh and by the way, that seems to be the union blog site, so there are more than a few misleading items in the text - which I have deleted for brevity.

Small outfits simply do not get the contracts that are being discussed, because they cannot deliver the volumes.  Imagine Fred Bloggs haulage getting the Tescos contract.  It would be a bit like me supplying Super U with potatoes from my potager - good for the first delivery.

EDIT

BTW there is something wrong with your sums.  I reckon the average driver is getting around 3750 pounds per month gross. 45kpa

Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

andyh4 wrote:
BTW there is something wrong with your sums.  I reckon the average driver is getting around 3750 pounds per month gross. 45kpa

How do you get that, please?
If take-home is around £1800 per month, then the first £625 of that was tax-free and the rest was taxed at 20%, and there's 12% NI on everything above about £425/month. I get around £2380/Month gross = £28560 p.a.
I'm ignoring any employee pension contributions, but if they were at 10%, then we are still only at around £31.5K

Regards
Pickles

That is the point Pickles take home pay is not 1800 pounds per month - the average tanker driver of fuel deliveries is apparently getting 45kpa (source BBC website and backed up by an ex-driver who posted in another place that his final salary was 52k) - which by my sums is an average of around 3750 gross per month.

Do not believe the simplicity of the Unite webpage - there is a lot they do not tell you - for example about overtime, weekend and bank holiday working, condition money etc..

In fact there is a lot they don't tell you.

Did anyone else notice that while this dispute is supposed to be about safety, one of the many bones of contention was a driver who was reprimanded for leaving his tanker to make a phone call - which is a breach of safety regs.  So safety it seems is a pick and mix issue.

Much of the drivers story is full of such contradictions and part truths - which will easily mislead those not close to the industry.

Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

andyh4 wrote:

Much of the drivers story is full of such contradictions and part truths - which will easily mislead those not close to the industry.

Bit like people who cherry pick stories from an "ex driver" and the BBC, wow if the BBC says it's true then it must be.Big Smile [:D]

NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Well as someone in the industry albeit not in the UK, I hope I know a little about the subject, if not the details of UK salaries.

Whereas your credentials would be.............?

Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

I calculated the pay on £15 per hour and an average 37 hour week,which is what everyone I know who does manual work does. That is basic pay. 15x37x52=£ 28660 listen to the tax man site, pick up £1820.93 after nat ins and tax, a site I use a lot. If these drivers work overtime they'll get more, or weekends etc. Isn't that normal for most workers, unsocial working hours means that people should get paid more. (And if they worked 42 hours a week, they'd pick up  just over £2k a month.)

I know which web site I saw it on. I would also say that there were less holes in that than the 'news' stories I have read recently which have been venemous and nasty, just my opinion ofcourse. I'm sure that there is normal ground somewhere inbetween, not that anyone will ever report that.

Incidentally £52k after nat ins and tax and someone picks up £3064.08 per month, gross pay £4333.

The figures I have used does not include any private/second pension payments, so people may well pick up less than that.

Can't smaller companies take on these contracts? I really cannot see why not. And neither does a friend of ours, his little haulage company did.

Report   Reply Quote

andyh4 wrote:

Well as someone in the industry albeit not in the UK, I hope I know a little about the subject, if not the details of UK salaries.

Whereas your credentials would be.............?

Well you said it pal, and as I am not offering an opinion I don't need credentials. I just queried your sources of information. Stick out tongue [:P]

NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine