South West (Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées)

Topic has 59 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Snow! Snow! Snow!

'Heard on the radio that roads from France and Belgium into Luxembourg were at a standstill.''

That must be wrong Pierre, it's only UK that comes to a halt when it snows - or so the UK press would have us believe.
   Report   Reply Quote

To my great surprise, when I opened the shutters this morning, there was no frost where I was expecting a sea of white.  J'ai eu les bras qui s'en tombé.  Er...did I get that right (as discussed on the "expression" thread and I am trying this phrase out to learn it properly)?Idea [I]

It certainly wasn't cold, not like it was last night.  Then it started raining quite heavily and now the sun is actually shining and the veranda is warming up nicely.  I have put the clothes out, though keeping a weather-eye out for rain.

Got lunch cooking; roast chicken for me and doggie and potato-and-red-bean burgers for OH.  I just feel soooo much better when it isn't blowing like the clappers (French equivalent for that?) and the sort of weather that freezes your very marrow.

Sorry for melding 2 threads into one but these French expressions can be most engaging and not easy to remember if you don't keep repeating them!  

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

sweet17 said: when it isn't blowing like the clappers (French equivalent for that?) and the sort of weather that freezes your very marrow.

And that sounds like the Mistral........ or could it be the Tramontane where you are??????? does it get that far north?

Report   Reply Quote

Sorry, id, I didn't make myself clear:  I meant what is the equivalent French expression of "blowing like the clappers"?
   Report   Reply Quote

SW17, you made your self very clear to me at least. I was however a bit perplexed by Idun's reference to Mistral as a translation "blowing like the clappers"
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

sweet 17 wrote:
Sorry, id, I didn't make myself clear:  I meant what is the equivalent French expression of "blowing like the clappers"?

One which comes to mind is "un vent à décorner les bœufs", meaning a wind strong enough to pull the horns off cattle...
Would that do? Smile [:)]

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Oooh, Clair, I LOVE that!!!  Imagine, flying horns everywhere........

That's how I remember a lot of stuff; create a mental image and then I have no problems coming out with the words Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Back to snow......looks like in our bit of 31 we are due some this coming week.
BREXIT - wonder what the future holds
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine