French Education

Topic has 60 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Procedure when absent from school because of sickness?

Yes, it is the CPE. Another layer of admin that has to come out of the education budget and IMO quite unnecessary. What the Head is supposed to do, I have no idea.

Report   Reply Quote

I've had meetings with the head when I've made a complaint about bullying (CPE was there too) and to discuss redoubling (principal prof there too) and he usually does a speech at the beginning of any meetings.  Isn't he an administrator and coordinator? 

If it's the CPE I'm supposed to talk to I'll have to find out if she has a direct number because the only time I get her is when I want to speak to a teacher or the head!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, CPE, professional school admin, dealing directly with the kids and parents, which IMO is the Head's job. I have no idea what the Head's do. I have yet to see one teach and the main admin is done for them.

Report   Reply Quote

No I meant that the head is the administrator, coordinator and he's also the final call for the teaching staff and CPE to deal with pupils and parents on any subject.  I thought the CPE was in charge of discipline, which is probably why this one has decided to be a stickler for keeping the attendance records up to date as if the kids don't bring in their late slips or absence slips, they get a disciplinary black mark and it affects their 'vie scolaire' moyen (perhaps everyone is behaving nicely and so she has time to be a stickler for paperwork!).   It's the CPE who gives that mark for the end of trimester bulletin.  Each teacher has their own behaviour mark to add to the test and homework marks to make up the subject moyens but the CPE does the overall behaviour in school and playground and general paperwork (like those excuse slips) and is who the children get sent to by a teacher who can't handle a disciplinary problem, with the head as the last resort.

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

The Conseiller Principale d'Education and the surveillants (les pions) are responsible for things outside the classroom such as attendence, behaviour and to extent relations with parents.
Their office is the Vie Scholaire.

After the teacher takes the attendance register it is collected and sent there for example, and a disruptive pupil can be sent there with a note.
I used it a few times when working in collèges in the late 1990s!

The job is rather different from a school counsellor in the UK, because it involves a disciplinary function which would be regarded as rôle conflict in the UK model.

http://www.viescolaire.org/info/?p=12583

http://cpe.spip.ac-rouen.fr/spip.php?article1155

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes - sick son isn't sure whether the principal or the CPE is in charge of the surveillants (I think it's the latter) but notes that if you get sent for detention at lunchtime then you sit in the CPE's office (which is the vie scolaire room, so he has the impression that it's mainly the CPE's office!) but if you get a detention in advance, outside of school hours (Wednesday afternoon or on an evening) then the surveillants supervise you in either the CDI or the etude room and if the surveillants have a problem with you in the playground, they send you to the CPE just like the teachers do. 

Hmm - hopefully this is all from experience in previous years, but I'll find out at the parents' meeting in a couple of weeks!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:
After the teacher takes the attendance register it is collected and sent there for example
Explains why the phone call is quite late (must have all the classes registers to work through) - it's not that she starts late then!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes one of the surveillants comes round collecting them. This  can take a while to go round all the classes in a large collège.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine