French Language

Topic has 33 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: What does this mean?

The first time I ever heard the sunbjonctif used I had only been here a week or so, the woman who my neighbour has now thankfully divorced was drunk, slurring and had a lispy type speech impediment, not the best of circumstances to hear "il faut que tu faasscchheess" for the first time, I recall him really tearing her off a strip but didnt know what it was all about at the time, I was too busy wiping the spit from my eye. I know that it didnt resemble any verb that I knew, in fact it was one of the few verbs that I did know how to conjugate but not in the subjonctif. 

I suppose that was another milestone when I got the confidence to start using the subjonctif but its still only with a handfull of verbs, when I know that I should be using it with another verb I sort of try half heartedly and invite the oher person to correct me, I am always asking do we say it like this as otherwise people will never correct me.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: What does this mean?

Well this anglaise has used octante in Belgium without problem, so I assumed that they were just like the swiss, who I am far more used to.

Idun it was a long, long time ago when I lived thereCool [8-|] they (the Belgians) were not so international in those days and  the  E.U hadn't even been thought of!

Cendrillon
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine