French Language

Topic has 46 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: British words the French are pronouncing incorrectly

Mint - talking about walking groups - one of the few times I went out with them a frenchman asked me "do you like les b'telles?" Took me ages to work it out.
As for feeling hot or cold, our french teacher at school warned us about that. If it's rather chilly you should say il FAIT froid, or the opposite, il FAIT chaud. Otherwise you might be in trouble.

Report   Reply Quote

Something that made my ex French girlfriend laugh and I can see the funny side now.

Driving along I saw a hot air balloon, "regarde, regarde!" I said pointing excitedly, I was hoping she would see it so I didn't have to explain "un ballon d'air chaud!" I said Blush [:$]

I always recall where I first learn a new word or what person makes it finally stick with me, that day was montgolfière Big Smile [:D] 

Report   Reply Quote

A British friend has a daughter at school in France who was told by her English teacher that 'flour' is pronounced 'flooeur'. Child said, 'But my mother is English and she says 'flower'. Response: 'Your mother is wrong' !
   Report   Reply Quote

Reminds me of a child my son had in his class in Spain who cried because his English teacher in school had told him about the fruit called oranghé.
On the news last week here they told the viewers that choux de bruxelles were called "sproots" in English.
   Report   Reply Quote

I have had to change the spelling of my dog's name; from ROO to ROUSmile [:)]

Poor dog was getting confused by people calling her by a name she didn't know!

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Has nobody mentioned Portsmoot yet?
I have someone in the English class I teach who is a retired anaesthetist. That was challenging for her.
   Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:
So;ething stupid hqs hqppened to ;y keyboqrd qll the chqrqcters qre co;ing out zrongm dont knoz zhqt I hqve done Cry Out [:'(]

I hold down either of my "Windows" keys and press the space bar to switch keyboards.

I thought the French for "shark" was spelt "rocain" from 1962, when I lived in Cannes, until fairly recently.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

@ Emily A

Its Portsèmouth...like Bournèmouth.

That is why the French decided to rename French cities. It is to difficult for them.

It really makes me hungry.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine