French Language

Topic has 65 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: I would have had to...........

Good on you for avoiding googletranslate, Mint. I know it's an amazing tool, especially since they gave it a brain, but it's counterproductive for anyone who is interested in that language and wants to learn.
If I got a message in Japanese and was mildly interested to know roughly what it meant, I'd use googletranslate because I have no interest in learning Japanese.
I once had a student that I just could not stop from using googletranslate. Every week she promised she wouldn't and then next week she admitted she had. She had a good brain but out of all the students I ever had (adults), she's probably the one that made the least progress during her 3 months.
   Report   Reply Quote

@ richard 51

You said: "I was slightly amused when you implied that you were totally integrated into france. Again you are perhaps a little naive - I suspect even your close ones consider you as the english one"

Of course I am the English one. Fillons wife is the welsh one. Integration and language skills are two different things. There are many different nationalities at out kids school. Their first language is not French but they are integrated. When I pick the kids up from school I can hear many different languages being spoken. Only the British get a bee in their bonnet about this sort of thing.

@ Chancer

About five years ago I wrote an online magazine/book which I sold on my website to a French market. My OH translated it into French for me. I know from experience how difficult it is to translate English to French and my wife is bilingual as you can get...although apparently there is no such thing as being bilingual. It took some months. When we sold it (in large numbers I might add) some actually wrote to us (thanking us for our magazine) and pointing out errors. Not necessarily French but the way the French was used in the context of the technicalities being described.

We have just finished another one which will go online hopefully after Easter. Again translation was required.

That is integration...LOL.

And please don't imply I don't not the difference between 'être & avoir'

And yes, I think my son nailed the phrases I gave him. You are just over complicating things with you translations.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Being bilingual doesn't automatically mean you have the necessary skills to become a translator.

I work with some excellent translators who are not completely bilingual in their source language(s); you don't need to be. And I see lots of translations (far too many!) done by wannabe translators who think that being bilingual is enough and you don't need any other skills or training to become a translator.
If a person is finding a translation difficult, it's because they don't have the right skills.

"Only the British get a bee in their bonnet about this kind of thing" - being integrated like wot you are, no doubt you know Claude Barzotti's chanson "Le Rital", about growing up as an Italian kid in France and being made to feel you're different?

https://www.google.fr/#q=le+rital+claude+barzotti+lyrics&*

PS "You are just overcomplicating things with you translations" - what exactly are you seeing as "complicated" about putting a verb into the correct tense, and using an everyday expression ?????
   Report   Reply Quote

ET said...."If a person is finding a translation difficult, it's because they don't have the right skills"

In our case, my OH did not know the subject well...but I did.
So together we made it work.

But in terms of what we did, it was a niche and very difficult for anyone....professional translator or not....if they did not know the subject. No one had ever done it before, but there was a market (because it had never been done before) which is why it sold.

ET, in terms of integration we have had this conversation before. Integration basically means waking up in the morning and not feeling subconscious that you foreign living in another country. Or that is how I define it.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes I think we've agreed on what integration means. But you still keep saying that it's only Brits who ever stop to think about whether or not they're integrated and to what point, which is why gave you a link to lyrics where an Italian is musing over the self same question. I'm sure it's an issue for everyone who moves country.
   Report   Reply Quote

My son reckons il aurait ete too, just off the top of his head..... and laughed and said it would depend.

The french class system is truly more terrible and insidious than the british one, and that the french crow about NOT having one always amazes me....... because in my humble opinion theirs is far worse.

Those that can write french to the nth degree of complicated conjugaisons are the upper classes/royalty and it goes down hill from there as to where one is in this hierachy. So it shows very easily on job applications etc and the job one ends up with.

My best friend employs a scribe to write her letters, my friend is astute and full of brilliant common sense and actually self made and quite well off, but not well educated and I would suppose in french terms not considered very bright because of this and very low class.

I accept that my written french is rubbish. I will not get upset about it and don't give a hoot if the french think I am practically illiterate, no idea what they think to be honest.  My english is not very good, I was never good at english and blossomed in maths, fortunately.

Bilingual, I do not believe in it either.........  as a general rule, as very very very few people are talented enough to be completely bilingual.

Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
"You are just overcomplicating things with you translations" - what exactly are you seeing as "complicated" about putting a verb into the correct tense, and using an everyday expression ?????

I've seen it before, its one of the many  outward manifestations of the frustration of someone who has lived in France a very long time but with a partner that speaks good English (or whatever their language is) and/or is trapped by circumstances.

Report   Reply Quote

"very very very few people are talented enough to be completely bilingual."
I suppose in my profession I come across more than average, so to me they're not all that unusual. But, it is more unusual to find a person who is to all intents and purposes bilingual, whose skills in either language are actually as good as a native speaker of that language who's not bilingual. I guess, because it's hard to keep the two completely separate in your brain and stop them contaminating each other, even ever so slightly.
I'm sure a lot of us native anglophones have found that the more time we spend with French speakers, the more often we find ourselves stumbling over how to say something in English, or forgetting a perfectly ordinary English word or confusing it with a French word without even realising.
So in a way, whilst being bilingual has a lot of advantages it can also be a handicap unless either you are exceptionally gifted or you work hard at it.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine