French Food and Wine

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French milk

You can also buy lait cru, it's in a little plastic sack. I bought some once when they had run out of pasteurised, or the dairy farmers were having a protest because of the very low price.
It didn't taste any different, but I wouldn't use it all the time - I once knew someone who was very ill from drinking it , some strange disease.

Report   Reply Quote

Pasteurisation is fine and very necessary to kill dangerous bacteria but its the post pasteurising homogenisation that removes the taste of what many call proper milk, in fact unless there are still doorstep deliverys of bottled milk then I would say that you cannot buy unhomogenised milk these days, I have not seen a milkman in the UK in the last decade and have never seen unhomogenised milk on sale in France except once from a distributeur which was never refilled.

Unhomogenised milk will have a depth of cream on the top which will gradually increase as the fats continue to seperate, it begins to smell before it goes off, people younger than myself have completely lost the instinct to smell milk before using it, with homogenised milk you have no idea that it has gone off before you put in in your drink or on your cornflakes, you are using milk that but for the homogenisation would be visibly seperated, curdled and rancid you just dont know it.

Report   Reply Quote

Idun: The Elle & Vire "Creme Mascarpone" (mentioned earlier) really does whip beautifully, in  a couple of minutes. I add a spoonful of vanilla sugar (not a fixe - I make the sugar myself) and it is indistiguisable from whipped cream. Only (I think) 30% is mascarpone. It has only been around for a year or so.
It comes in little cartons and is usually sitting on a shelf next to the E & V ordinary creme so one has to take care to buy the right one.

Report   Reply Quote

I need to look for that, Hereford, it sounds just what I need.

I buy unhomogenised milk in England for our grandchildren, usually from the little food-only M&S nearby or Waitrose; I prefer the M&S as the cream doesn't sit at the top after giving it a good shake.

I've just started the Comté we bought at our market (in France), I prefer the oldest they have, but usually buy the middle one, matured for 18 months, I think, as my husband doesn't like the more mature Comté. I don't think it's anything like Cheddar, I love the nutty flavour.

I also bought another cheese that I had last week too, made from raw brebis milk, wrapped in a ring of spruce; it's delicious, but prefer the brique of brebis they have at other times of the year. I'm told it's best not to put it in the fridge (nor the brique), but our apartment can get quite warm, so don't fancy it ooozing out, so I put it in the fridge and take it out about an hour before I want to eat it.

It's called Le Claousou du Causse Méjean and is from the Lozère; really creamy and delicious.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I love Comté too, but only if mature.  I was first introduced to it by a Dutch couple years ago.

The other cheese that I really like and that I haven't seen mentioned is Ossau Iraty from the Pays Basque.  I went to a farm last year and brought back a mature cheese and I got to eat it all to myself as OH wouldn't eat anything from a sheep!

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Here you are Mint, a traditional recipe using comté cheese which we cook all the time. Very cheap to make.

http://www.lesfoodies.com/lyly59/recette/tourte-fine-au-jambon-comte-et-champignons

Not sure OH puts crème fraîche in ours.

Dead simple, dead nice and no need to shop in Tescos.

If Brits learnt how to cook before they move to France they would not have to rely on those STUPID FOOD VANS from the UK.

It annoys me to hell those vans. Have I mentioned that ??

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Mint, I love it too! Can't get it locally here, but Waitrose stock it!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

<<
Dead simple, dead nice and no need to shop in Tescos.

If Brits learnt how to cook before they move to France they would not have to rely on those STUPID FOOD VANS from the UK.

It annoys me to hell those vans. Have I mentioned that ?? >>

Mentioned far too many times! Perhaps your main topic on here.

Why do you have to go on about Tescos, food vans etc - haven't you gathered that many/most posters on here don't even think about food vans, Tescos etc.

Or maybe you secretly yearn for those things yourself - there's probably reams about it in psychology manuals 😉

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine