The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 39 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Back to reality

"They will wait for you to evict them, and on the day the bailiff arrives, the nice council will have a duty to house them."
Husband has already realised that , ebaynut. So this thread should act as a warning to others.
It's already cost us a few thousand.

Report   Reply Quote

Only another 7K to go then.

Did your letting agent not advise you to insure against this happening, most do cover this these days, check your house insurance policy, it may be included, if you have already checked, then sorry to point it out, but often people have cover and don't know it.

These people are the bottom feeders of life, but the nanny state protects them, there is a lot to be said for the 'Rachman' approach.

Report   Reply Quote

Ebaynut, are you not a landlord yourself? Have you ever had problems with tenants? How do you go about sorting them if you do? Do you have big dogs?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes we do have an insurance policy, but I'm not sure what it covers, apart from missed rent. We'll have to check the contract. It might cover court costs and our rental expenses if we're lucky.

Report   Reply Quote

Cross fingers for you, Pat.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
Cross fingers for you, Pat.

+1
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

W/B wrote,
Ebaynut, are you not a landlord yourself? Have you ever had problems with tenants? How do you go about sorting them if you do? Do you have big dogs?

I guess I have been lucky with my tenants so far, never had to evict any in over twenty years. But I stick to some rules, always rent to people who are local to the area, if they have kids, so much the better, they want homes, not somewhere to live. Always charge below the going rate, so it makes sense for them to stay then, let them have pets, it makes a home.
I vet all the local lettings personally, and where I use an agent because distance makes looking after the property impossible, then get an agent who is in it for the long haul, not some cheap fly by night.
I don't know, of course, but the agent Patf is using most likely has no further interest in her property. When she said she wanted her house back, his revenue stream dried up, why waste anymore time on the matter, he will not earn a penny more from that property now.
And never let to migrants, they have left their home country to live in yours, they will think nothing of moving on at any time, they think and act differently to English people, and why would you anyway, there are now so many waiting tenants to choose from why invite trouble.
And don't get me started on now having to check the prospective tenant has a right to live in the UK, and its now my job to do this, get fined is you don't, as our government just let anyone flood into the country.
   Report   Reply Quote

We too have ended up renting a property.

It is checked over by the agents every month and I would hope that yours do that too Patf.

When they do, I do not see any reason why they could not take photos of the state of the place too.

We also have an special insurance policy and I shall have to check up if ours covers if people will not leave, I know that I would not have rented out if it had not covered for non payment of rent, or malicious damage.

This problem Patf has, is something I had not considered and shall check on.

Like you ebaynut, we gave a local family with a pet and reasonable rent, they keep the property in good order and pay their rent on time and we do any thing that needs doing immediately or as soon as possible. Good tennants deserve a good landlord.

However, if they end up not wanting to leave would be quite another thing, as I said, need to check up.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine