Driving in France

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Mobile home park address ok to register vehicle?

Hahaha! When I (briefly) lived in Australia, I was out with colleagues when a woman they knew arrived and started banging on about whinging poms....after her spleen had been well and truly vented, she turned to me and asked who I was, so I said I was a whinging Pom. She was mildly embarrassed.
Conversely, we had a series of brilliant Australian nannies when our kids were small. However, one of them had a mum who came over to do a three month stint at a UK university, and in order to do so she had to bring over her youngest son with her. It transpired that mum seriously thought she could them dump her son with his sister (and me) for the duration..so I had to explain why it didn't really work like that.
Caring for foreigners' French pads? I think that particular boat sailed (and subsequently ran aground) about 10 years ago.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Whoopsy (she put her foot in it).

Do you mean sailed for you (you're over work), or the idea has been done and failed?

I think the 'whinging' part of whinging Pom came from post war immigration (ten pound poms - what it cost then) when you'd get the English shop steward type come to (hopefully) a workers paradise and find all the same apathy and conditions as at home. Mind you, I whinge about that and I was born here :-)

Brings to mind another TV reference - a Peter Sellers movie where he plays one of them. Very funny. I think this is it (I'm All Right Jack) :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052911/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_54

and the Pom bit has various theories, the one of which is POHM (Prisoner Of His/Her Majesty) printed on convict garb. Not sure if it actually was on them. I think a lot of my neighbours must be descended from convicts, as they certainly behave like criminals.

Another is from Pomegranite (a sunburnt new arrival being the same colour as), but I find it hard to believe they even knew what that was.
   Report   Reply Quote

Ten years ago ( or a bit more now) the idea of "property management" was one of the many many revenue streams being considered, used and ultimately abandoned by armies of Brits moving to France as early retirees and looking for a fast buck. It's pretty much fizzled out, along with the people who were doing it.

My favourite Alexei Sayle joke (you may know him, I think he's toured in Australia). On his first trip, arriving at passport control in Australia
Official: "Name."
AS: "Alexei Sayle"
Official: "Profession?"
AS: "Comedian"
Official: "Do you have a criminal record?"
AS: "I didn't know you still needed one"
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Property management is still going strong in our area, I know several people who do just that and several owners who use British property managers.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Maybe it's passed through the hands of the easy money merchants. They all seem to want to be real estate agents now (and none do a decent job of it judging by the shocking listings).
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine