French Food and Wine

Topic has 49 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Does anybody actually LIKE galette des roi?

Noisette wrote:
There's no getting away from them here, but in desperation, I made both versions myself this year. I'd only ever done the frangipani one before. They're both infinitely better home-made! One big plus was not being able to find the 'fêves' anywhere in the house, in time to include them. What a shame.... Just need to work on getting hold of some decent cider for next January ;-)

Noisette, my favourite cider used to be from a little resto (maybe not a "real" resto, perhaps call it a bar/café) in Normandy where the cider is slightly cloudy and made by the owner.  First time we went, it was boiling hot and 2 small glasses were delightful.  Next and subsequent times, he'd bring the whole bottle out and leave it on the table!  Massive temptation but commonsense always prevailed because we didn't live there and had long drives ahead.

Failing that place, I have recently taken to pink ciders and there is one which is superior to the own-brand supermarket ones but I'm blowed if I can remember the name!Blush [:$]  It could be Brittany or Normandy cider but I served it to my French neighbour and indeed she liked it so much, she served it with HER galette des rois.  Cider was fine but no, still can't like the gdr!

If you have not had the pink type, noisette, you might like to try it?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Looks like bakewell tart to me.

Something grannies used to makeSmile [:)]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Mint, I remember sitting in the March sunshine at Le Bec Hellouin, many years ago, drinking Normandy zider out of pottery cups :-) Thanks for the tip about pink cider. Is it brut or doux though? Can't abide the sweet stuff, whatever colour it is!
One of my briochée galettes was drier than the other, despite using the same recipe for both. The dry one is going to be transformed into baba au rhum ...yum !
Be alert!! Your country needs lerts.....
   Report   Reply Quote

Oh, you gourmande, youSmile [:)]

No worries, the pink cider is brut.

Report   Reply Quote

Heehee. Excellent! Will have a look for some tomorrow :-)
Be alert!! Your country needs lerts.....
   Report   Reply Quote

Still looks like a boring bakewell tartBig Smile [:D]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

The "bakewell" tarts sold in supermarkets are tasteless.

However, in Bakewell, tarts are not made - they are Bakewell Puddings and delicious.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Counting the days now to the end of the gdr season.  This evening, OH tried his best to persuade me to go to his table tennis assoc's galette night.

I felt really mean saying no but, for the life of me, I don't think I can face another piece of gdr.  One more occasion to have this delicacy however.  This will be at my gym but I am hoping that perhaps they have already eaten it last Monday when I couldn't go!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine