French Language

Topic has 48 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Working all day..

Christine Animal wrote:

allanb wrote:
 pachapapa wrote:
j'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école.....gives an idea of repetition not just the once.

I don't think so.

Mon frère n'est plus dans l'école; je l'ai vu sortir.

No suggestion that he did it more than once, I would say.

J'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école, I agree with Pachapapa, could mean more than once as in "I've seen him come out of there" (several times) and not "I saw him come out of there".

I also agree that "j'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école" is as in "en train de sortir" (in the process of doing so, or however you could explain that).  Could also be several times, not just once.

Mais où on va la ?!   Blink [blink]

Empiricaly rather interesting!     You have established the supposition that..... J'ai vu...can be translated into english as either...I have seen OR I saw....assuming that the past historic tense is a literary animal and therefore out of context in this contemplated oral exchange.....then it would possibly be argued that the french are compelled to use the present participle to express spontaneity and the infinitive to express continuity.

Report   Reply Quote

How then would you say in French?

1) I have seen my brother come out of school

2) I saw my brother come out of school.

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Christine Animal wrote:

How then would you say in French?

1) I have seen my brother come out of school

2) I saw my brother come out of school.

1) J'ai vu mon frère sortir de l'école.

2) J'ai vu mon frère sortant de l'école. 

Report   Reply Quote

Well to me your number 2 would be "I saw my brother coming out of school".   Big Smile [:D]

But you do seem to agree then that j'ai vu can be I have seen or I saw.

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Christine Animal wrote:

Well to me your number 2 would be "I saw my brother coming out of school".   Big Smile [:D]

I agree with "coming".... in fact I was a little surprised that you had not accorded with Fowler in your quizzical post above.Wink [;-)]

Report   Reply Quote

Not a problem with the other romance languages, where for example  in spanish, the préterito indefinido lends itself to universal employment.Whistles [Www]
   Report   Reply Quote

J'y suis venu! je l'ai vu! je l'ai vaincu!

A sad little language, lacking dramatic punch.

No match for veni! vidi! vici!

Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Christine Animal wrote:

Well to me your number 2 would be "I saw my brother coming out of school".   Big Smile [:D]

AFAIK, Christine, there is no distinction in French between Present Perfect (I have seen/j'ai vu) and Past Simple (j'ai vu) in English.  I have looked at this many times and I have never been able to make any distinction.

I just use what our French teacher would call "Say to me in good English!"Big Smile [:D]  This, of course, makes me smile broadly as I can't imagine saying anything so foreign-sounding as "say to me..."!Big Smile [:D]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine