English Books

Topic has 44 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: English language book discussion here

I might have misunderstood (quite likely!) but I thought that Lee had gone on to the pub where he'd been killed.
Micka was the more appealing character, but Laurie was the more disturbed - and understandaby so; in a decent home Micka would have flourished, but Laurie gave me the creeps! I felt that his parents treated him as if he was older, which didn't help.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, Lee seemed to have gone to the pub and not been in the woods but Micka himself was not sure which I interpreted as that he had been there and was maybe also knifed there, in fact.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Confused [8-)]

I am reading your thread in the hope that the book(s) you are discussing will make me rush out to get it and read it. This particular one seems such a sad and disturbing tale of neglect ...

ummm .... I think I'll take a rain cheque on it.

Don't mind me  Smile [:)]  Do carry on discussing and I'll see what your next book is ...

Report   Reply Quote

I too disliked the book and did not feel that the writer handled the task well, because I felt that the emotions and thoughts being attributed to the boys were too adult and lacked raw authenticity which one might have expected in kids so young.

The whole nature v nurture debate too seems sterile as we have been there before and for so long.

Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I thought it was a challenging read - outside the norm - the end events were rather fudged in my opinion  - some characters were fairly well drawn, others, the gypsies for example, a bit too stereotypical......

I'll start a thread about the next book....

Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine