French Language

Topic has 53 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: How does one translate 'bully'into French?

I let people through too, I do it all the time. But I never just let them through now, I ask if that is all they have, as it has happened that someone has been stood there with a lettuce and bag of sugar for example and I've let them in before me and then other family members turn up with baskets, or even a trolley. And I don't like being taken for a mug either.
   Report   Reply Quote

I like 'tyranniser' although I don't think it translates the full range of 'bully' as I defined it in my  OP it will do very well for the situation in which I wish to use it.

There are one or two really dreadful old women in my nursing home who treat the people who serve us meals and keep the place clean as if they were dirt. These women  can't answer back, as they are afraid of getting into trouble with their employers, so I speak up for them.

I don't think this is specifically French though but I have to answer in French...

As Brassens sang
"

Vous les cons âgés,
les cons usagés,
les vieux cons

Le temps ne fait rien à l'affaire.
Quand on est con, on est con!

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Tu connais cette chanson Norman ??  Excellente référence ! Smile [:)]

Yes, tyranniser is close to bullying..

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:

Le temps ne fait rien à l'affaire.
Quand on est con, on est con!

Quand on est con, on est con is more when one behaves like un trou du cul, one remains un trou du cul ... 
bully ... I'd say un tyran, une brute, un voyou, un muffle (though that's mild and would describe a man with the manners and graces of a warthog)

Report   Reply Quote

Aren't these women harridans? Vieille sorciere? haridelle?

Wouldn't, vieille sorciere tres mechant, cover very nicely what you should say to the vieille biques?

I'm glad that you are standing up for the staff.

Report   Reply Quote

It  was something like:

Madame, vous êtes  faible .On s'en fout de vos caprices.  Assumez votre situation et taisez vous

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

AND, what was the reaction?

I think that they will have been highly offended, and if they were, well GOOD! you did a good thing there!!!

Report   Reply Quote

She was not a happy bunny, but has calmed down.
The staff have thanked me in one or two quiet comments

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine