Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Returning to the UK..Fill up with fuel ! .

Back to the original dilemma, we noticed yesterday that there were signs advising no fuel available at several of the service areas on the road from Rennes to Caen. Fortunately we had filled up at the Mont St Michel services but after that according to the signs there was nothing for 90km.

Cendrillon
   Report   Reply Quote

Why would this be? Have I missed something on french news?

Seems very odd to me that there is no fuel in Normandy. Not as if it is just a short hop over the channel.

Report   Reply Quote

As well as tourists and second home owners the Caen/Portsmouth crossing is quite heavily used by freight, could it be that everyone has filled up before crossing, thus creating a shortage on this route ?
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

I doubt it RH.

No HGV driver in his right mind would not fill up in France if it meant he might have to fill up in the UK.  The difference in diesel price is the driver (pun intended) for that - 1.40€ versus 1.40 pounds.  That is of course without the impact of shortages in the UK.

I do not have a good explanation as to why supplies are tight excpet that with the coming holiday weekend and HGV traffic limitations, there will be a tight supply of delivery trucks for the next 10 days.  Why Normandy should be impacted? - maybe just happenstance.

Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Frederick , sorry only just seen this , so not a lot of use now , but for next time

tesco will keep fuel back for emergency services and charity workers , meals on wheels ect all you have to do is go talk to your local manager and as long as he's in a good mood will allow you fill up , you will need proof of what you do

Dirty Tom =^..^=
Where ever I lay my paw thats my home

I support SPA Carcassonne ...go get a dog today
http://spacarcassonne.e-monsite.com/
   Report   Reply Quote

Returned from a week in UK on Saturday night and saw no evidence of shortages anywhere.

Report   Reply Quote

Thats good to know Pads .... Thanks for the information.. 

The problem now seems to be the growing cost of fuel .  I have noticed one garage  I used to fill up at on the A35 is now asking for £1.52,9p a ltr  diesel .... Our  local one in the village is now £1.48,9  . Talking to a fellow driver today he stated he was packing it in when he has to pay £1.50 for his diesel .I feel I shall have to do the same ...
Our milage rate was fixed for the term of the contract between the Ambulance Service and the Hospitals A five year contract we are now in the fourth year of with no sign of  increase set four years ago on the horizon .The Chief Ambulance Officer has made his  position clear an increase is presently unaffordable we are advised .

It will be interesting to see just how the  many  patients we transport will get to their appointments when we no longer "Volunteer " to take them in .

The trouble is in the rural villages we volunteers know just how difficult it will be for a lot of elderly ladies  living alone and who never  learned to drive to get to the Hospitals . My area includes the New Forest where public transport is very thin on the ground .I know many drivers will feel like me and will not want to let them down by stopping  what we do .    I am prepared like other drivers  to give my time for free....Subsidising the NHS from my pension when I fill my car up which is what will happen with the constant fuel price rises is what I will not do 

Decision time very soon I think  !

Report   Reply Quote

Which hospital do you go to Frederick ?
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine