French Education

Topic has 60 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Procedure when absent from school because of sickness?

Yes, les pions, are directly under the CPE.

I know these peoples' functions, I just don't know how so many colleges can lack teaching staff and equipment and yet have the money for surveillants and CPE's. I still have no idea what the Head's do. I would suppose very very little.

Report   Reply Quote

Don't for get that Proviseurs and Principals are not promoted posts as in the UK, based on successful teaching experience.
They are posts awarded on the basis of a competitive written examination, a 'concours'.

YOu can get a flavour of what is required ( a very theoretical analysis) from last year's exam and 'corrigé'

http://cache.media.education.gouv.fr/file/2012/15/7/Rapport-de-jury-2012-Personnels-de-direction_226157.pdf

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Also worth noting that the CPE, which I believe stands for Conseilleur Principal de l'education (correct me if I'm wrong) is not concerned with education in the English sense of the word but the French, that is to say the childs upbringing.

For the students at my lycée who stay at the internat during the week she has a particular responsibility, for the others she gets involved when problems of comportment may be related to the home environment which in some cases is pretty apalling.

Report   Reply Quote

You get a good idea of the scope of the job from the link I gave above
http://cpe.spip.ac-rouen.fr/spip.php?article1155

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I am pleased you said this about the Doctors, Debra. My girls are always saying their friends have this and that medication to take if they have been ill as they go to the Doctors. Like you I only resort to that if it is something serious and not for every virus they pick up at College and recover from in a day or two. And I do sometimes wonder if College think I make up their ailments as I never give a medical certificate.
I phone the vie scolaire about 10 mins before they start College and say they are ill and they always say "c'est note". But if they are off for two days I don't call on the second day as I feel they will assume they are still ill if they don't appear. And then sign the note in their carnet on their return.

It is good to know that we don't have to take them to the Doctor - it is just sometimes they make you feel like a neglectful parent. A difference in French/English parenting I guess.
   Report   Reply Quote

Greenfrog wrote:
It is good to know that we don't have to take them to the Doctor - it is just sometimes they make you feel like a neglectful parent. A difference in French/English parenting I guess.
I think it may be a difference with the doctors too.  I was a bit miffed that I had to take my son for allergy testing to prove that he was allergic to certain things so that he wouldn't be forced to eat stuff he was allergic to at school and also so he could carry antihistamines and take them if he had a problem.  I explained that the attitude in the UK had been that a mother's close observations were more valuable than putting a child through testing (which involves deliberately giving them a reaction) - and the school doctor was horrified!  "But you're not a doctor, madame!"  I was even more miffed when I found out he had to have these tests yearly to confirm that he was still allergic to the same things!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:

YOu can get a flavour of what is required ( a very theoretical analysis) from last year's exam and 'corrigé'

http://cache.media.education.gouv.fr/file/2012/15/7/Rapport-de-jury-2012-Personnels-de-direction_226157.pdf

I thought I'd have a look Norman, but must confess that by page 7, I was losing the will to live... if you don't get a response to that link, that might be the reason... it is all so dense, so wordy, so intricate. You would have to be on the inside for reading it through, no?

Report   Reply Quote

I gave up too...
Isn't that part of the problem of the system?

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine