French Language

Topic has 46 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: British words the French are pronouncing incorrectly

If you had heard "Laties and Gentlemen we will shortlee be arraiveeng in Portsmoot" as often as I have, you would know I am right. 😀
Actually my favourite BF announcement was when they had a Captain Bienvenue. "Le Capitaine Bienvenue vous souhaite le bienvenue à bord ...."

Report   Reply Quote

Ballon a l'air chaud,,.... Why not .....That was the way I improved my vocabulary, if I don,t know the word, how else can i explain what I need to do explain. Kifkif when I hear a word I don't know in French, I just ask and they have to do the same with me.....My most memorable was 'galere'!!! I had no idea what that meant and couldn't quite get the context....Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
   Report   Reply Quote

My favourite B.F. announcement is "Mont st Michel has smoke in her ears"

Report   Reply Quote

On deck? 😀
   Report   Reply Quote

Harking back to Eric's post, a little story I may have recounted previously.
At my old job, we had a large number of French stagiaires every year. WitHin the office, everyone was used to listening to them speaking English with Fench accents, but outside work, many of them struggled to be understood, so they approached me to see if we could organise some lunchtime English lessons for them as a group. I spoke to our language training provider and we started lessons.
After the first lesson, he came to see me In my office, shut the door and began laughing uncontrollably.

For this next bit, I advise you to read using your best 'allo 'allo French accent.

Student: "I have a problem in my department. Every time I ask for a piece of paper, people laugh at me"
Teacher: "Ah, well this is a common problem. You see, in English, we have long vowel sounds which are difficult for French people to pronounce....."
Student #2 "Ah, it's OK though...I have a solution to this problem!"
Teacher "That's great! Tell us more,"
Student #2 "well, if I need paper, I no longer ask for a piece of paper, I ask for a sheet!"
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Excellent!
   Report   Reply Quote

In the same vein..
At one of my ESOL evening classes, I had a lady from Sicily. Her husband was Ukranian, and they'd lived in the UK forever, but she wanted to improve her English pronunciation. In fact, her accent was so difficult to understand that the only other Italian in the class confided in me that she couldn't understand her in English OR Italian!
We were looking at a reading passage in colloquial English, in which the word "p r I c k" was used as a slang noun.
This student was very Catholic and proper, and didn't swear in either language, so she asked about the meaning. Cue lots of sniggers. In my best "I'm the teacher, we are all adults and this isn't funny" voice, I explained that this was a slang word, meaning p e n I s.
"AAh.." She said "Like the flower!"
I explained that, to the best of my knowledge, there was no flower called a p e n I s.
She was very insistent that there was.
(Now you need to read in your best Italian accent)
"My neighbour had these flowers in his garden, so I asked him the name, and he told me it's a p e n I s. So I went to the garden centre and I said 'do you have a p e n I s' and they sold me these flowers"

Peonies. Duh.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine