French Language

Topic has 65 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: I would have had to...........

I have never used Google translate for French, having to go through a dictionary finding the word or verb, trying to work out how it fits in with the rest of the phrase is a very important aspect of Learning although it has its limits, I recall getting a texto saying pas pu rappeller and not knowing what pu was and the biggest dictionary did not help,  had I realised it was a conjugaison I doubt that I would have guessed the verb.

I use Google translate for reviews from non French guests, I also regularly use linguée.fr when writing letters and find it an excellent resource, I think I have Norman to thank for that one!

Report   Reply Quote

@ Chancer

Now you are being rude Chancer.

Uncle ALBF has been around a bit.

I have said this before, I used to play for a pool team in France. Travelled everywhere playing pool. Language skills a bit limited but had a fantastic time. Now, within three years I was (out of 11,000 players in France) ranked no 56 in France. The only reason I did not end up being No 1 was because I destroyed my shoulder....and had to give up. Language skills does not change anything.

Incidentally, one of the top players in France (Top 3) is half British. Imagine that.

Now, going back to integration. On BEVS forum (ET will understand) she often says that a person moving to France goes through stages. The first 2 years are exciting and great. Then life hits you and you start to hate everything French. Then over a time you become more and more integrated and you enjoy living in France and nothing bothers you any more (driving, food, customer service and all that) . She said it takes a good ten years, I would say more. I am worried Chancer after 12 years you have not reached that stage. You still seem to be at odds with everything.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I wonder if Becks felt integrated in all the countries he lived in.
   Report   Reply Quote

Perhaps you need to grow up in a family with parents of different nationalities. Plus have an aptitude for languages, which is quite rare. And for both spoken and written languages.
When we first came here we had a friend whose mother had been french, and father english. He had worked for the french during the war as a translator, and helped many of us with communication problems.

Report   Reply Quote

No rudeness, just an observation, phycologie is a hobby of mine, forums are a real portal into peoples hopes and fears, they express themselves anonomously in ways they never would face to face.

I concede that language skills do not help with playing pool although what that has to do with the subject beats me.

Been through the stage that you talk about probably after 8 years at my best estimate, it is not the last stage for me though, iIam currently in the coming to an end/biding my time before leaving for pastures new stage so not all all surprised that I may seem at odds, certainly the way I view things and how I express myself will have changed as it has done throughout my life, the people that really scare me are those that imeet who have not changed on bit in décades, they are trapped and they usually know it.

Report   Reply Quote

May be you should look closer to home Chancer in your analysis.

I have always said, France is a tough place to live.

If you are beat, then don't prolong the inevitable.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

You have to be able to look inwards first before being able to see through others. I know for instance that i amexperiencing cabin fever through throwing myself 100% at the renovation of the final apartment, to the exclusion of all other activities, I knew it when I started but crucially I have a choice, no person or circumstances is making me do what i choose to do, its been like that for 25 years now.

I am no more beat than the day I arrived here, I choose not to fight against centuries of narrow midedness.

I have every incentive to prolong the inevitable, I am making more money than I have ever done (not that its of any importance to me) for doing very little, the longer I prolong it the more I will have for the next chapter of life and the greater value the property/business will have.

I will know when its time to say "enough" I was one of the few people in the UK that knew how much was "enough".

Equally, and maybe this ties in with some peoples worst fears, if I had to walk away tomorrow with nothing, zero, zilch after spending €100K and 12 years of labour I would have no regrets and would feel richer for the experience.

Life anywhere can be tough if you dont have choices or your future dépends on the décisions of others, you do not have control of your destiny.

Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
"very very very few people are talented enough to be completely bilingual." I suppose in my profession I come across more than average, so to me they're not all that unusual. But, it is more unusual to find a person who is to all intents and purposes bilingual, whose skills in either language are actually as good as a native speaker of that language who's not bilingual. I guess, because it's hard to keep the two completely separate in your brain and stop them contaminating each other, even ever so slightly. I'm sure a lot of us native anglophones have found that the more time we spend with French speakers, the more often we find ourselves stumbling over how to say something in English, or forgetting a perfectly ordinary English word or confusing it with a French word without even realising. So in a way, whilst being bilingual has a lot of advantages it can also be a handicap unless either you are exceptionally gifted or you work hard at it.

How I can identify with what you say, ET.  There are words of multi-syllables like "democracy" "impeccable", etc where I have to pause and work out where the stress should lie.

As for place names, Montpellier, St Malo, St Omer, and dozens of others where I can no longer say them like a UK person would.

Spelling:  another area best not mentioned.  It's words with close equivalents in English, stupide, réparé, and so on where I really do need that Spellcheck discussed on another thread.

Guess what though, I will not resort to an electronic thingy that I see many carry around and, when they are stuck for a French word, they ask you to wait while they find the word on their gadgets.  Too stubborn, too proud, too "superior", too "I can manage just fine" to so ostensibly be floundering!

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine