Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Struggling to get agents to send details of property

B.I.B.

If you didnt realise it my comment about snap it up at €50K was tongue in cheek for a €24K property already being punted at €39K.

Things have changed, I no longer regularly get unknown people knocking on my door asking if I know any Brits (pigeons) who want to buy their hovels for the bargain price of 3 or more times what it is Worth.

Dont exactly know when it stopped but I thought of it yesterday when what I thought was another knocking on my door, turned out to be a French  plumber wanting some UK 15mm copper pipe Woot! [:-))] - dont ask, because I didnt!

Report   Reply Quote

@ Bit in Bretagne

The Op has emailed the Estate agent selling the moulin 5 times and they have not responded. They have lost a sale because we have found it cheaper. They are not operating in a way that suggests that it is a buyers market.

In terms of rural France. Well I am not so sure. As i see it, houses are either naff or overpriced with respect to the area. So I am not sure it is a buyers market. Good houses will sell quickly.

In main cities/towns and places where people need to live in order to work then it is not really buyers market because you are really dealing with the dregs. The good houses get sold within a week.

In Paris, Lyon, marseille, Montpellier etc try finding a 'good' 3 bed flat !!!

BTW, I don't live in Paris anymore. I am back home living just on the fringes of the best city of France.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

In many parts of rural France good houses do not necessarily sell quickly. There are too many on the market and too few buyers.
I have friends who have their large rural house, in excellent condition with a lovely swimming pool on the market for just over €425,000. They do not have queues of people lining up to buy it. It's priced reasonably but is too big and offers too much for many buyers, people who view often buy in the area but end up with houses up to €200,000 cheaper which fulfil their needs. My sister in South Devon lives in a terrible house in a sought after area. She has received offers of almost half a million pounds for her house despite it not being on the market. That's a sellers' market, here, in rural France the buyer is king.
   Report   Reply Quote

How many French living and working in rural Bretagne (or rural anywhere) can afford a 400k house ?

That is where you and other expats/immigrants miss the point. You are relying on expats or second home rich French buyers to buy your houses at silly prices.

I could sell my house at 500 k within a week to a French family ....and it does not have a swimming pool.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

French owned big rural properties with swimming pools in such areas as Normandy have been out of favour for the last few years as people realise that they cost too much to run and maintain.
However, it is not uncommon for families to own such a big property and rent in, say, Paris, using the house as a second home.
That being said, the market is some places is buzzing though whether this will spread to isolated rural properties is doubtful, even if mortgage rates are very low.
Round here, the Belgians have been buying a lot, though I suspect mainly good quality stuff round the Baie de Somme and Le Touquet, though I have noticed quite a few semi-rural properties with sold notices appearing.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Why have I made a mistake Mr KIA? I don't live in a vast expensive house, I live in a modest stone cottage. Yet again you make uninformed general comments. I look forward reading a thread on a topic you actually know something about. That might be informative. Until then...
   Report   Reply Quote

What are you going on about BinB ?

I probably bought my house and spent less less than you did...lol. I have the scars to prove it.

Some of us/like most in France can't choose where to live !!! We make the most of what we have got.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

The market is still very strong in the Baie de Somme and discussing the tourist season with the Booking.com manager for the region he tells me that they had a really good summer there this year whereas the inland parts, my region were down up to 50% in July and August so I actually did a lot better than I thought.

My property/business will be valued soon, buyers of a property at the likely price in this region will be non existant, it will be  investors, probably Dutch or Belgians.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine