French Language

Topic has 54 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: How are your efforts to "learn more French" working out?

Language........... when we had our kids we never ever ever swore. And I don't think I did until they were adults.

Also I never ever used words like 'doggy' or 'pussycat' or any 'babyish' words. I felt they had enough to learn with two languages and what is baby language about, it displeases me immensely.

And back to swearing, as I said, I do swear now, far too much and this old bat doesn't really care. I don't do it in front of others, but I do do it..... and if I lose my marbles, perhaps I will end up swearing when I shouldn't.....Devil [6]Whistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

Related to another thread on here - what's the correct french word for 'neck'?
Is it 'col' or 'cou'? I know it's not 'cul'.
eg bareneck chickens, how would you say in french?

Report   Reply Quote

It's cou. And poule cou nu.

Col has various meanings: collar, neckband, mountain pass...

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Idun wrote:
Also I never ever used words like 'doggy' or 'pussycat' or any 'babyish' words. I felt they had enough to learn with two languages and what is baby language about, it displeases me immensely.

What annoys me irrationally is the propensity for adult women with small children to refer to themselves as "mummies".
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

I see. So you have to be careful to distinguish between the  french sounds  'ou' and 'u' .
Which some of us find difficult.

Report   Reply Quote

For that elusive “u” sound, try putting your lips as if you were going to say “oooo”, but actually SAY “eee” (without moving the lips).

Report   Reply Quote
Whistles [Www]

Come to think of it, you guys must be struggling with that U sound ...... I wouldn't know where to start explaining BUT Loiseau's explanation is pretty good (for the sound that comes out) ...... would love to see those Brit faces with their lips thrown forward as if whistling the latest tune ....
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau, that’s just what I was taught many years ago.

Don’t worry overmuch, eric, once someone has really got it, there’s no need to keep pulling the funny faces!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine