French Food and Wine

Topic has 49 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Does anybody actually LIKE galette des roi?

Luckily, mince pies get phased out much earlier! In fact, there are already signs of the odd Easter egg.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

At least we seem to have stopped the perennial attempts of old dears, who are usually younger than ourselves, to sell us their brioches during the festive season, although we have usually given a donation to their charity. Maybe that made them feel guilty.

My response to the last lot was "Why can't we eat bread?"

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

YCCMB wrote:
Luckily, mince pies get phased out much earlier! In fact, there are already signs of the odd Easter egg.

But I don't mind mince pies!  Funny you should mention them because today I made half a dozen quiches and I had just enough pastry left for the base of a small tartlette tin.  Couldn't be bothered to make cheese straws or anything else, so just filled it with mincemeat and topped it with breadcrumbs for some crunch.

It tasted very niceSmile [:)], well the half of it that I ate.

As for Easter eggs, don't like them either!Ick! [+o(]  Perhaps I've had a surfeit of  sweet things......

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm a bit ambivalent about those kinds of sweet things...
Can't necessarily discipline myself not to eat them, but can't say I like them especially. That says more about my willpower than anything else!

Report   Reply Quote

Hey, Mint! Among a collection of photos of Gilets Jaunes graffiti that I've just been scrolling through on Facebook:

"Moins de rois, plus de galettes!"
   Report   Reply Quote

YCCMB wrote:

Hot cross buns have been in M&S since Christmas. In fact I think they are now on sale all year.

Report   Reply Quote

I'm quite partial to a hot cross bun. I'm more than happy to see them more often. Especially as they appear so randomly if condemned to fitting in with Easter!
   Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau, yes, hot cross bubs are in our little local branch of M&S all year.

I get indigestion if I eat any, so I get a bit miffed that I can buy those all the time, plus croissants and other such things that I wouldn’t buy in the UK, yet teacakes are rarely stocked.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine