French Language

Topic has 52 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Pads is confused again

Loiseau wrote:
Exactly. It's the way we learn our mother tongue, after all. Young children start by banging out simple requests/orders: "Drink!" "More!" etc, and gradually progress to structured sentences. It's just the same with picking up a foreign language by talking/listening to native-speakers. Chancer, do you ever put the (French) subtitles on when watching French tv programmes? I often do that if it's something like a gangster mpovie, with lots of mumbled asides, and plenty of slang. It's surprising what words are in there, when you see them written down! Angela

Which is why Angela speaks in a mumble with plenty of slang!Devil [6]

Of course, many young children remain at that linguistic level until well beyond adolescence  - thus the young adult whine of "More" or "Money" goes on for years and years and years and years and years....

Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

When I first arrived many people remarked "tu parle comme un petit negre".

I think it was using every verb in the infinitif form that did it!

Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:

When I first arrived many people remarked "tu parle comme un petit negre".

I think it was using every verb in the infinitif form that did it!

Ha, ha!

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

J'avoir, J'être, J'aller etc Smile [:)]

I came unstuck when I decided that I should perhaps pronounce the "e"'s as everyone just kept ignoring me and laughing.

It sure aint easy pronouncing  jeavoir, jeêtre and jealler Stick out tongue [:P]

I have to say I did actually come across a couple of people in Eymet who managed tp make themselves understood by speaking like that, but they were quite accomplished having had years of practice.

Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:

Which is why Angela speaks in a mumble with plenty of slang!Devil [6]

...with liberal sprinklings of Vendée expressions, Wooly - that I pick up along the way but which shock my French friends from elsewhere when I slide them into polite conversation!  Blush [:$]

Angela

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine