French Language

Topic has 53 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: How does one translate 'bully'into French?

Ah good, I am delighted to hear that.

I'll not say that vieux schnocks cannot be 'difficult', but I would say that vieille biques are usually worseWhistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:
  ... vieille biques ...

a.k.a.  :  punaises de sacristie    

Report   Reply Quote

l'aiffircance said:   

a.k.a.  :  punaises de sacristie    

Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

New one on me that l'aiffricane, although I understand it completely!

Report   Reply Quote

But that only applies to the devout ones, who were also called "les dames patronesses" by Jacques Brel.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, we had a few who would suit that description in our village. Always a l'eglise and then vicious, and nasty when they were with other than themselves or the Curé.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think I prefer that in French there is no definitive word for "bullying".  For me the word has become devalued in the last years, and it is now used to describe many behaviours ranging from the pig ignorant to the truly vile.
The French words given on this thread describe the kind of acts that in a sense make up our idea of what bullying behaviour consists of.
I'm probably not explaining myself very well, but I remember as a teacher investigating allegations of bullying at school by trying to find out what was done to the complainant. Intimidation or threats or exclusion or physical force or verbal insults were some of the acts committed, and it was far more profitable to be specific when addressing the behaviour of the perpetrators.

Is bullying against the law? Or is it all the kinds of behaviour that constitute bullying that are prosecuted? We should be specific about what we are condemning in my view.   

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine