French Education

Topic has 59 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French as she is spoken in the UK

mint wrote:

Actually, it wasn't Jasmine Harman on that programme.  It was the other blonde TnT ladyBig Smile [:D]

Sorry, I thought you spoke of this episode http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/sd7sy/a-place-in-the-sun-home-or-away--series-6---5-romsey-hampshire-v-collioure-france

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

In the Savoies many family names end with a 'z' and that is usually pronounced. I pronounce the 'x' in Aix-les-Bain, but most anglais don't sound the 'x', and I always pronounce the 'x' in Chamonix. And les anglais usually say Anna see, for Annecy....... and I say AnnSee, and my Dad says Anakey........... he could never say my village name.

I would always say Reems to english speakers who don't know France, and always Rance to those that know.

We won't even go into sink for cinq down southDevil [6]

Report   Reply Quote

At last, I know who you are Wooly...... that 'thonk' gave you away, you're Officer Crabtree from Allo Allo!

Report   Reply Quote

Who on earth is the French speaking translator that interpretes French in to English for speeches by Hollande etc. He often struggles for the English word and when he cannot think of it just goes on.

It is undemocratic to ask the people if a negotiated deal is what they want.

Then how can it be democratic to ask MPs for a third time if what they do not want is what they want?
   Report   Reply Quote

Don't know which one you mean, PaulT.

But, I did have to wait to see when they would put the accent over the "e" in Dammartin en Goële, so that I knew how to pronounce it!  They eventually got the accent on towards the middle of the afternoon.

PS, I thought it might have been Goêle and I thought it might have been pronounced like that woodburner, poêle, in your sitting room.  Once the accent went on, I knew it would be pronounced like my friend Joëlle!  Who says French is difficult to pronounce, ha, ha, ha?

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

I was a bit hit and miss. And Lyse Doucette, who was the on-the-spot BBC reporter,v started off pronouncing it right, and then by later on as thing got more and more intense, she was pronouncing it ask "gueule"!
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty wrote:
I was a bit hit and m
iss. And Lyse Doucette, who was the on-the-spot BBC reporter,v started off pronouncing it right, and then by later on as thing got more and more intense, she was pronouncing it ask "gueule"!

Yes, I heard her say "gueule" and I smiled as it was about the only thing that was even slightly amusing.  She did do a very good job, however.  On the whole, as far as UK TV went, I thought the best reportage was from the BBC news channel and France 24 which gave excellent background and had a host of guests with deep knowledge and controversial opinions.

Edit.  Actually, Betty, I think she spells her name Doucet and yes they do pronounce the "t" Big Smile [:D]

And are you old enough to remember Reggie BosanqueT (or however that is spelt)?

Endlessly fascinating, language and anything to do with languageSmile [:)]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

I think if many of us had been in the same situation, reporting at such a dangerous event our (perfect Wink [;-)] ) French accents would have quickly slipped!

Cendrillon
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine