French Education

Topic has 57 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Where to purchase modest dwelling 30-minutes from major University

mint wrote:
I have skimmed the contents of this thread, mainly to get informed about the French education system, as I know zilch about it.  So, please do not depend on me for anything to do with French education establishments.

Also, I see that many people have been here to give you, after researching on internet and also on the basis of personal experience, information.

On the basis of what I have gleaned, could I ask you just a few questions which I am sure you will have asked  yourself and have answered to your own satisfaction.

Am I given to understand that:

you are prepared to split up your family, with husband and 2 children in the US and you and 1 child in France

you are sure that you and your child would be able to relocate to France, satisfying all criteria of finance and health requirements

you are assured in your own mind that all the information that you and your husband has obtained in the past, with 10 intervening years, is still current

you assumed that immobiliers knew about the schools on their patch and that the "mean price" (your words) of a house in the Poitou Charente was 105k euros

So you are convinced that the best place in the world for your child to have the education you think suitable is an ocean away from your home and you are making a move to France, even after considering all of the above things and even after many on here have put you right on a number of points that you have wrongly assumed?

Words fail me!  

Blimey, dw, "calm down dear"...........Big Smile [:D] and yes, that is a little joke which is a bit culture specific, that is, only Brits who watch UK tv will understand the reference.

I'd NO idea you would get in such a state about the above post which I have NOT edited and which I quote in full.  Unlike YOU who have made subtle alterations to YOUR reply but, that is OK by me, especially if you were trying to tone down your responseIdea [I]

Please note that I do not say, you, dw is this that and the other?  Everything is in the "passive voice", "am I given to understand" or in a conciliatory tone, such as "you will have answered your own questions to your satisfaction" and did I not wish you well if you could achieve your objective?

Truly he was right, Churchill was it, who said that we were two nations separated by a common language.  Well, for a start, us Brits like understatement, self-deprecation, we do not talk about our achievements or indeed use immoderate language if we could avoid it.

I didn't think I had made any assumptions and, if you COULD look back calmly, you might admit (there, notice my use of "might" instead of the more aggresive "will"Smile [:)], you were a tad inconsistent with what you wrote.  At one point you said that your husband was working full time in NY and your children were attending their education establishments there.  That was the reason you gave for only needing health care for yourself and your daughter but not your husband.  It was also you who said you hadn't visited France for 10 years, you said you'd ask the "realtor" about school, etc etc.

BTW, don't fuss about telling us you are a buddhist.  I thought as much from your name, dharma wheel, I even know what that is! 

Obviously I do not have knowledge such as you do, alas, but we did have a family member who studied at the Juilliard (professional violinist now) and we visited your beautiful city.  I also have a sister who is a dedicated buddhist, so much so, that she sold her house and gave the proceeds to the temple where she went and she has spent the last 30 years doing charity work with no pay.

I am not the person to pick a quarrel with anybody.  In fact, on the odd occasions when I have lost my rag, I have been thoroughly ashamed afterwards and felt that I had failed to get my own point across.  Name-calling has no place in any sort of discussion and I am not illogical enough to get het up about some post on the forum.

Don't be bothered about the devil emoticon either, if you do look at other threads on the forum besides your own 2 threads, you might see that the last post Norman posted that was directed at me indeed had the same devil and he had the audacity to suggest that I might attract a lot of creepy types if I went full frontal!Big Smile [:D]  And no, I don't hold him any grudge, I laughed uproariously!

Calm down, think zen, go say a mantra or two, nobody here is denigrating you or indeed failing to understand that your daughter's education is important to you (more so to her, of course)

Will also hijack your thread for a moment or two to thank all those who have jumped to my defence and to those who have emailed or PMed, I shall be writing back à plusKiss [kiss]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Don't feed the trolls!
   Report   Reply Quote

I don't thing there are trolls, however I think a lot of the misunderstandings on this thread are due to the UK and the USA being 'divided by a common language'. I have often joked that I do better in France where I know my language skills are lacking and make more effort, than I am in the USA where I tend to think 'its Ok they speak English'
Written down, thus losing the nuances of a facial expression or body posture, these things can be even more difficult.
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,often for their own amusement.

The post in question starts

"I have skimmed the contents of this thread, mainly to get informed about the French education system, as I know zilch about it. So, please do not depend on me for anything to do with French education establishments."

And then we get the rest. Nothing to do with the IP's question, fairly fits the Troll picture for me and nothing to do with misunderstanding the initial question.
   Report   Reply Quote

Lehaut, you and I have been on this forum long enough to know that troll-like behaviour is not something that marks the vast majority of Mint's posts. In fact IMO, most of the post you are mentioning is concerned with raising serious questions about the OP's reasons for moving to France. It seems legitimate to me to highlight these concerns because it did seem to be a big decision made without much uptodate knowledge.

I do not consider name calling to be helpful in this context and would kindly ask you to move on
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

Lehaut,

Most trolls are here today, gone tomorrow, kind of folk.....that hardly describes Mint.

Frankly unless anyone has anything of consequence to say my feeling is that the entire thread may as well be deleted.
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Good idea RH - except that I thought Lehaut was referring to the OP? (not Mint.)

Report   Reply Quote

Patf I agree.Smile [:)]

Cendrillon
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine