South West (Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées)

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Wanted: Property Let or Purchase Near Sarlat/Salignac

That's your perspective though..and good to hear and to know.
On the other hand there are several families round here who do exactly what you say you shouldn't do..ie they live here, run small gite businesses, teach yoga, produce crafts etc. And they seem to be quite happy. I should add they are not all British. There are lots of Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Irish, German couples, or mixes. They don't drive range rovers and they don't spend all day drinking wine. There are other models of living that suit some people.

From my personal experience in the UK I earned a good salary and I never had any money..here I earn a quarter of that and I don't know what to spend it on. I don't know why either, except to say that lifestyle and perceived wealth are related and if people want to try out something different then why not?
   Report   Reply Quote

Like I said Lindal, I don't know expat world.

But they pay the same taxes of me. Well if they pay !!!!! The cost of living is the same. The cost of bringing up children is the same. Kids need to be fed, clothed, medical bills and education paid. You need you need a pension and everything else.

Life in France will catch up on them eventually. You can't break the system in France.

Like I said do it properly like everyone else.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Well 40% of people don't pay any tax in France as they don't earn enough. Maybe things will catch up with them but they will be no different to the French people in that position. We live near a large Buddhist community here and that's what attracts a lot of the younger outsiders to the area. Most seem to come with enough money to buy a small property and they just work to get by for the rest.
   Report   Reply Quote

<<Life in France will catch up on them eventually. You can't break the system in France.

Like I said do it properly like everyone else. >>

Do you know a lot of people who don't pay their taxes, albf?

The only people I know from the UK are in the system, I think; one who doesn't live far from us is a regular on this forum - I'm pretty sure he and his wife pay their taxes.

We only spend up to half the year in France, but our taxe d'habitation and taxe foncière are paid by virement.

By the way, just so it's clear, albf, as you seem tomake a lot of assumptions and make a lot of complaints about people from the UK, we speak French, have mainly French friends apart from some Belgians, Dutch and English, plus an Australian couple abd a Scotsman.

We didn't buy in the sticks, nor did the others who bought in our apartment block of whatever nationality, and just about everyone we know either speaks good French, or their other half does, or they are taking lessons, many at our branch of AVF, which offers 2 levels of French.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

LOL Andy, if you think I have been expat bashing, I do feel that over the years, I have been remarkably restrained.  I remain remarkably restrained here in England now too.

As for 'time served', I was two years in a french city and as it was within reasonable driving distance of our village, continued to know that city and some of it's residents well. And then we moved to a village,  lived for 25 years en plein campagne. A long time, and in many ways, I am more at ease with french ways than the changes that happened to the ame of the population in the UK during my absence.

I shall never ever understand anyone moving to another country, to retire to, especially to move somewhere far from the madding crowd and not speaking the language of that country well.  And also not doing their research, because frankly, that has never been easier. As I have been told recently, adults are allowed to make stupid decisions. My problem with that is that if society has to pick up the bill, then making stupid decisions is not always acceptable.

Quite different for someone moving to a proper job, even if they have little of whatever the language is, easier to pick up when working.

Re education, well, I do know that kids can do well in french education, lots of french kids do. I have always said that. And I know that the Riff Raff Element said that things have improved for those in difficulty, but those I know tell me that little has changed, and RRE was a very long way from my old department. Change, like so much in France will take it's own sweet time and be open to interpretation at a local level. And that is of no help for those that are 'lost'!

I daresay I could upset a lot of people if I say much more, but remember that all the nonsense I used to read on here about rose coloured specs France used to upset  me. Rightly or wrongly, felt like the french were being spoken of as simpletons. And I shall never 'get' why there is this general feeling on here of the french not being consumer minded, it really depends on income, but those with money, spend on very similar goods to those in the UK. And maybe that feeling is because too many posters have never lived in a city, or it's banlieue where life is quite different, and hectic.

Latest craze where I used to live is a Thermomix, and they cost about 1000€'s, really they do, and I do not know of one person who has one in the UK, whereas even people with modest incomes in France have them, at least where I used to live they do, whether they live en plein campagne or in a city.

Report   Reply Quote

@ Gardengirl...you said

'make a lot of complaints about people from the UK'

I have spent the whole day helping my half frog little girl doing a presentation for her class on the UK because she is very proud of the UK and she is British.

You are, and others missing my point. I am trying to HELP.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

What's a Thermomix?
   Report   Reply Quote

Idun

My apologies if I have given the impression that you indulge in expat bashing. As far as I can see you tell it like you have found it and do not assume that all expats come out of the same mould.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine