French Language

Topic has 54 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: How are your efforts to "learn more French" working out?

I'm just trying as I type ....... I put my tongue just behind my bottom teeth (leaving a gap between the said enamels and the tongue ) ...... As a result, there is a small cavity created as the sides of my tongue are in contact with my cheeks. Then I pronounce quite successfully the dreaded vowel without having to throw those gorgeous lips of mine too much forward ...... It works pretty well.
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

I once watched the french rugby team singing 'MUgir ces feroces soldats!'
They made a lot of that sound.

Report   Reply Quote

.... I once watched the french rugby team singing 'MUgir ces feroces soldats! ....They made a lot of that sound

Yep
   Report   Reply Quote

https://www.thoughtco.com/french-pronunciation-of-u-1369595

Plus lots more.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

How would you translate 'grateful' into french? I've found 'reconnaissant', but that doesn't seem to convey the exact feeling.
When we left France our buyers agreed to take on our Kat and poultry. Which was a big relief as they wouldn't have survived here, and we didn't want to kill them.
The lady - french- sends regular updates and is quite apologetic if anything goes wrong with them. Today she posts that the favourite cockerel has been killed by a dog.
I want to reply and say no need to apologise, we're only too grateful that you agreed to take them on.
She writes partly in french, partly in english.

Report   Reply Quote

You can still say « je vous suis reconnaissante de ….. » or « nous vous sommes reconnaissant … » d’avoir accepté de garder nos poules et notre chat avec la maison.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks Eric Big Smile [:D].
BTW we're not far from you (Gateshead). I grew up in Blyth.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine