Earning a Living

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Setting yourself up as a Psychtherapist/Psychologist

Has anyone set themselves up as Psychotherapist orPsychologist in the south of France. We are looking for information on the process, and demographics of the possible English Speaking market.  Please ideas or advise.

Merci

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Setting yourself up as a Psychotherapist/Psychologist

I think that you would need to seriously check that one out with the Ministry of Health in Paris, as I believe that it has been brought under State regulation and would require your qualifications to be approved for equivalence if they were not obtained via the French State, as it is considered to be medical.

Anything that directly relates to health, physical or mental, in France is regulated by the State.

Chris

http://www.planetepassion.eu

Association Planete Passion - French Wildlife in the English Language
   Report   Reply Quote

Suzanne are you  Chartered Psychologist in the UK?
   Report   Reply Quote

There is a Counselling in France Association, which incudes psychotherapists etc offering therapy in English. There is a section of the site which advises and accepts people in various disciplines and with various types of qualifications and experience. See www.counsellinginfrance.com

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Setting yourself up as a Psychtherapist/Psychologist

I am planning on setting up a practice in the Gers, I am a  UK chartered psychologist.  The local office of URSAFF seemed to think it was possible their main interest is how I would pay my social charges.  I would register as a profession liberale.  Let me know if you find any problems.  Which area are you in?  

Christine

Report   Reply Quote

Be more than a little bit careful with what URSAFF say, or for that matter register you to do, always check with the actual authority that is legally in charge of an activity, in this case, Health.

To date, I know of 5 Brits who have been registered by URSSAF for an activity and have subsequently been prosecuted for performing an activity without the required French authority and qualifications, the fact that they were registered and had their Siret made no difference.

This is very shaky ground and you really should check with the Ministry in Paris if you have equivalence.

Chris

http://www.planetepassion.eu

Association Planete Passion - French Wildlife in the English Language
   Report   Reply Quote

I agree with Chris - it's best to check with the Ministre de la Santé in Paris before getting to far into this.  I'm not sure if psychology falls under the medical profession or not, but it's worth checking out as they don't accept very many foreign credentials in this domain.  Many foreign doctors were just on strike because of this (ie. the fact that they are not allowed to practice here).  I am also in the medical field and found out my own diploma is worth nothing here and that if I ever wanted to practice in France, I'd have to redo everything and pass the French exam.  Either way, to practice legally, you will need to have the approval of the proper French authority, and not just URSAFF.

Report   Reply Quote

I am an occupational therapist setting up as a 'liberale' in January 2007 in Charente Maritime. I got my French state registered via my 'Direction Departmentale des Affaires Sanitaire et Sociale'.  They supplied me with a list of documentation requirements.  Once all my documents were translated they issued me with my ADELI number.  I found that using the local route enabled me to meet with the people responsible for ensuring my registration, clarify any points quickly, and meet French colleagues in a variety of settings.  Good luck with your registration. John ewens

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine