French Education

Topic has 62 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Education advice for our 12 year old

Ok RRE I shall PM you.

Report   Reply Quote

I suppose that anyone with children contemplating a move to France would be weighing up the consequences of such a move, as the OP is doing. Whether such a move is made must depend on the parents' personal circumstances, and on the children themselves, especially if they're secondary age pupils.

I  understand many people's reservations about interrupting children's education, but I did say before that others had proposed alternative arrangements to simply putting older children in lycees and hoping for the best.
However, it is for those parents to make that choice, in the certain knowledge that life is totally uncertain. And I guess that at least some of the Brits who return to UK after only a few years in France will be glad they had the experience.

As for the quality of education in some schools in France, having always thought that things were pretty similar in Britain and France, I was quite shocked when reading of some Posters' experiences. It may very well be that under-achieving children (for whatever reason) have fewer resources than in UK where there's a high level of  knowledge and competence among the teaching and support staff in general. Village schools, as in France may be less well served.

The Wales statistics are disturbing. What is that about?

Report   Reply Quote

I wonder seriously if throwing them in at the deep end is perhaps the best solution in the medium term.

An educational saga from todays NYT magazine section.

Attention a full 6 pages, so keep concentrating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/magazine/my-familys-experiment-in-extreme-schooling.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha210

Report   Reply Quote

And some kids will be fine in any system; that never means that 'all' will be, unless the system is particularly nurturing and caring.

Of anywhere I would risk Finland at any age, they always did well in those lists and I have seen reports when I was in France as to how good Finland's system is.

Report   Reply Quote

So who has been fiddling with this post eh??

Because it said I had posted at 14h56 yesterday the 14th May 2019 and I had not been on here yesterday and certainly did not touch the last post I made.

IF anyone wants to change a post, and maybe they could even be putting an update in, why not just make a new post on the thread!!! That would be best thing to do.

Any updates from the OP would be interesting, as their child, who was a teen at the time will be an adult now.

Report   Reply Quote

I'm guessing someone posted something (an advert?) that was deleted by the mods. After that the thread will show the last legitimate post, but with the time and date of the deleted post. Quirk of the forum software. Often see it on the FAQ threads too.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, there has been a spam-type post, which has since been deleted.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine