French Language

Topic has 65 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: I would have had to...........

I know my limits, and I would never venture into these complicated constructions.
I always thought I was quite good at english grammar, got a high mark at O level, and A level french, but I don't think we even learned falloir.
First came across the english subjunctive/conditional when coaching some Russian students in english conversation, when they were studying for the Cambridge english language qualification.
I didn't have the TESOL certificate.

Report   Reply Quote

I have the CELTA qualification.

Forgotten it all mind you.

Even illeterates like me are qualified to teach English LOL.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
A quick googlecount: il m'aurait fallu - 83,300 occurrences j'aurais été obligé(e) de - 38,300 occurrences. il aurait fallu que je - 150,000 occurrences I know it's no more than a very random snapshot but I'm surprised that there are so many more fallu que + subj than fallu + infinitives.

But by definition that is a count of written usage.
I bet it would be different if it were possible to count the same use orally..

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Despite what richard51 said to me about googling the answer, it seems that these threads do have their uses.  Just look at the comments and responses!Wink [;-)]

Sometimes, even when I know I can get the answers elsewhere, I put these sorts of questions on the forum so that other people can measure their own knowledge against the query.

Not everyone likes to be upfront about their own areas of ignorance (or knowledge, of course) and they can, in the confidentiality of their own homes, think about what they do know and, crucially, what they don't know!

Me, I am NEVER afraid to hold my hand up and say please Miss I don't understand because how can you learn unless you are prepared to admit that your knowledge is somewhat on the thin side?Big Smile [:D]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

I used a learning 'game'  which I called "what I don't get is...."
Take a text (might be written oral or video) and each student has to write down three things about it that seems a bit odd or which isn't clear or even unknown.

Then in pairs they share and try to explain to each other
Then anything still not clear goes on to a group of 4....
Finally each group of 4 reads out the one that most baffled that group, but of course by then the person who first asked is rather anonymous so doesn't feel too stupid.

The whole class then has a go at it, followed by the teacher.

It is amazing how many other people hadn't understood either and it helps encourage to ask what otherwise they might think are 'daft' questions.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

mint wrote:

Me, I am NEVER afraid to hold my hand up and say please Miss I don't understand because how can you learn unless you are prepared to admit that your knowledge is somewhat on the thin side?Big Smile [:D]

One of my very few strengths is that I have never been bothered by those laughing at me, calling me an idiot or whatever when I want to ask a question no matter how basic.

Report   Reply Quote

Sue, I've been taking English classes at our local AVF for the last 6 or so years and found the same as you, retired English teachers, gynaecologists, doctors etc, so I have to be on my toes with grammar, which gets harder as my memory isn't as sharp as it was.

Some of them learned American English and use phrases I've never heard of and strongly argue their corner that, e.g. 'parking lot' is just as good English as 'car park'.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

"Sometimes, even when I know I can get the answers elsewhere, I put these sorts of questions on the forum so that other people can measure their own knowledge against the query."

Goodness - how condescending.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine