French Food and Wine

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French milk

Not the same Idun but as double cream is not available we have to do the best we can, no French creams come anywhere near the fat content needed to make whipped double cream, Mascarpone does but has too much fat, they all have different tastes and again I look on that as a discovery, no point hankering about what you used to have when in a foreign country, my only caveat to the taste part is that whipped cream made with fixe chantilly may hold its shape but it is not the texture of proper whipped  cream and the taste, well you cannot taste the base cream, just cardboard.

The only time I need double cream and have to adapt is for my signature cheesecake, I no longer use digestive biscuits although they are available i use Speculoos and I use St Moret for the Philadelphia cheese.

This together with all other desserts is a dish that I can no longer eat myself but I get pleasure making it for others.

Report   Reply Quote

Cream in France is what it is, and I just got on with it, played with it and found ways to work with it.

But one thing is for sure, it is just right for a gratin dauphinois. Big Smile [:D]

If I needed a biscuit base, I used to use Lu Prince chocolate digestive biscuits, cannot remember exactly what they are called, but on the packet they look like digestives and very nice they are too, to eat or use as a base. They are chocolate covered, not a sandwich biscuit.

I LOVE speculoos..... strangely I am not keen on cinnamon, but I really do love them with a strong expresso.Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

I don't often buy cream, because I have to watch my cholesterol level. Not sure it makes much difference mind. I buy Fleurette.
My memories of real cream are of staying with my Auntie Pat who was married to a farmer in the Scottish Borders. She had a milk separating machine, and it produced thick rich cream and buttermilk. She would make butter with some of the cream and the rest was for desserts or mayonnaise. The buttermilk went to the pigs.

Report   Reply Quote

With this thread fresh in my mind whilst I was in Inter this afternoon, I bought some Elle et Vire crème épaisse de Normandie.

Might see if it will whip.  Only a small amount as I don't much like whipped cream.  But I have a French friend with me tomorrow to talk about a joint project so I shall make some scones and see if the cream is whippable.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote
Smile [:)]

Make sure it is nice and cold mint.
   Report   Reply Quote

Just looked at your tourte recipe albf,......tinned mushrooms????what is that about. Why would a french recipe even make such a basically disgusting suggestion.... because knocking 'english' food is one thing, but this illustrates to me why so much french cooking is not what it is cracked up to be.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine